Help?!? Burning or Pest?

elle_marie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good morning everyone! I recently reported my Cherry Blossom aa I was concerned with the leaves. I live in South Florida and I’ve started a bonsai collection. One of the trees in my collection is a cherry Blossom. Recently I’ve noticed the leaves on my bonsai haven’t been doing so well. I’m reported the tree to check to see if there were any pests or root rot but they’re no signs of such. The only thing that I can think of is that it’s burning. I’ve moved it out of the sun to recoperate but was wondering if anyone has seen this before. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 41ECE892-3B1C-4327-A2C1-42A88A57A73A.jpeg
    41ECE892-3B1C-4327-A2C1-42A88A57A73A.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 5C609925-7671-4CCA-B756-3873D7290386.jpeg
    5C609925-7671-4CCA-B756-3873D7290386.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 2D3C827F-FA05-424D-88BB-42FEB61C8B89.jpeg
    2D3C827F-FA05-424D-88BB-42FEB61C8B89.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 32
  • AB6FFECB-39BC-410D-8DE8-F7DFEE9FBAB0.jpeg
    AB6FFECB-39BC-410D-8DE8-F7DFEE9FBAB0.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 32
  • BE0A2BE4-DB6F-43C9-BC61-20E2F010261E.jpeg
    BE0A2BE4-DB6F-43C9-BC61-20E2F010261E.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 13514445-BF03-4FA1-AFE0-2302A7BE0C8B.jpeg
    13514445-BF03-4FA1-AFE0-2302A7BE0C8B.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 34

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It looks alot like leaf spot. Do a google search to see what horticulturists recommend.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bugs usually go for thw fresh leaves, they are the easiest to munch down and contain the most sugars.

Burning, both from nutrients and sunlight, tends to affect the youngest parts the most.

In herbaceous plants this would be a sign to check the pH, nutrients and watering schedule, to see if that's in check before doing disease diagnostics. But that's in herbaceous..

elle_marie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I sent an email to a local horticulture group here in south Florida to check on any new fungus or diseases being spread to trees. The trees are fairly new and it’s very hot and humid where I live so I try to water them a little everyday. I monitor them twice a day. Once in the morning and then when I come back from work in the early evening. They receive late morning/ afternoon sunlight which can be dry out the soil. I recently moved this tree to a different spot to see if that will help. It’s guys a little odd that the tree was fine for 3 months there and now this happened. I would imagine this has to do with spring coming into play. But figured I would ask if anyone had any suggestions. Sorry for the long post. Just concerned and over obsessive.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems there are plants in the patio....

But none with this leaf type?

The sun is moving up and surely becoming stronger.

Quite possible it is getting too hot, which with the humidity, can be burning AnD causing fungus, then further burning damaged leaves....

Sun reflected off the glass to the underside may also be too much for young leaves?

What is the new location?

Is it potting soil?

Could be you NEVER find a happy place in potting soil, as it simply stays wet, not just longer, but different than coarse soil as well.

Many tiny things and once...and not!

Sorce

elle_marie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perhaps leaf rust or closely related leaf fungus?

View attachment 187351
Seems there are plants in the patio....

But none with this leaf type?

The sun is moving up and surely becoming stronger.

Quite possible it is getting too hot, which with the humidity, can be burning AnD causing fungus, then further burning damaged leaves....

Sun reflected off the glass to the underside may also be too much for young leaves?

What is the new location?

Is it potting soil?

Could be you NEVER find a happy place in potting soil, as it simply stays wet, not just longer, but different than coarse soil as well.

Many tiny things and once...and not!

Sorce
i think you make an excellent point regarding the reflection of the glass, which was something that escaped my mind. The other plants in the area, specifically on the table, are native to more subtropical climates. Which to be honest would be a miracle if this Blossom makes it in south Florida. I recently changed the soil, as I was concerned about the drainage situation with the soil and didnt want to lose the plant due to such a stupid mistake. The plant is currently under a shaded portion of the patio and has exhibited new growth. I removed pruned the leaves containing the discoloration and will monitor it over the course of the next month.

I agree with the notion that there may never be a HAPPY place for the plants, but I’m trying to find one that’s at least best suitable for the tree. Besides picking up my house and flipping it around for the prime sun exposure but just trying to make due. I’m going to keep a close eye on it and appreciate the guidance from everyone. I know it can be redundant questions at Times but Thank you!

elle_marie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So the new soil is not pictured?

The new soil is more coarse?

Sorce
The new soil is a mixture of Akadama, pumice and lava rocks. I am going to see how it does with this soil change but i don't want to shock the plant too much. But i figured i am at the point of no return now.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The new soil is a mixture of Akadama, pumice and lava rocks. I am going to see how it does with this soil change but i don't want to shock the plant too much. But i figured i am at the point of no return now.

That's awesome and THATS what I meant by right place IN POTTING soil! It doesn't
exist!

But with APL you have control!

Which means

Just Water the shit out of it all day with no worries!
(Well, unless you got that Kakadama!)

You will have to water a bit more, but you're golden now!

Sorce

elle_marie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's awesome and THATS what I meant by right place IN POTTING soil! It doesn't
exist!

But with APL you have control!

Which means

Just Water the shit out of it all day with no worries!
(Well, unless you got that Kakadama!)

You will have to water a bit more, but you're golden now!

Sorce
hahahaha- it took me a while to repot the tree- as i didn't want to put the plant through too much trauma right out the gate. I figure with the soil change and the change in location I might see an improvement (finger crossed) or to at least help narrow down whats going on... Trial and error... Ive been fortunate enough to grow up in a household of lush greenery but this is a new adventure into Bonsai and I'm learning something new everyday. Thank you!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just checked and most cherry trees are rated for zones up to 7-8 with a couple taking zone 9 yet you are in zone 10. So just where did you get this cherry tree? Was it mail order, or a local nursery? You ight want to check woth them and see how much heat it can take and also find out the specific variety somyou can get some horticultural information on it. If it's a zone 7 tree it may cook in zone 10.

elle_marie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just checked and most cherry trees are rated for zones up to 7-8 with a couple taking zone 9 yet you are in zone 10. So just where did you get this cherry tree? Was it mail order, or a local nursery? You ight want to check woth them and see how much heat it can take and also find out the specific variety somyou can get some horticultural information on it. If it's a zone 7 tree it may cook in zone 10.

Yes, i agree with the setting myself up for failure being outside the ideal zone but I’m going to try. On our property we have a couple plants that are ideal for lower zones that have thrived. I’m going to give it a shot. I know living in a sub-tropical environment we are spoiled with the species of plants available for our gardens but it seems to be doing alright for now.
I’m stubborn and aware of that fact but I already have a backup plan if it doesn’t improve in the next month or so. No reason for the tree to be scorched to death because I’m that stubborn.

Attachments

• A2552FD0-0EF6-4734-9188-C5A1729C09A9.jpeg
    A2552FD0-0EF6-4734-9188-C5A1729C09A9.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom