HELP!!!! Can Someone Identify These Trees???

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
This one is in my front yard. Thought it might be some type of Hawthorn, but I have not found anything close by looking online. Any help is appreciated.

Frog

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
And here is another....branches look similar but the leaves are different.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score

Thanks

Do you have a picture of one or a link for reference?

When I searched FOEMINA I got some rather interesting results....lol

Also, isn't FOEMINA a type of Bonsai style?

Frog

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given your location in the great state of Texas, I'd guess you have two species here. The first could be a sand plum, the second a hawthorn. Just guesses, both of those species are thick in the underbrush down that way. Best ID would be to compare against databases of species that grow in your state.
like this one
https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Watershed/growgreen/plantguide.pdf

If you ask here, you will get all manner of wild gooses to chase, since there are people from all over posting.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks

Do you have a picture of one or a link for reference?

When I searched FOEMINA I got some rather interesting results....lol

Also, isn't FOEMINA a type of Bonsai style?

Frog

Cornus Foemina (often called Swamp Dogwood) - we don't see those here as they like a warmer climate. The first one puzzles me a bit as it seems to have rather large thorns and I am not that familiar with what grows there naturally.

Grimmy

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks!

They are definitely 2 different trees. The leaves on the first one are serrated and also kind of soft velvety feeling.

The second tree with the smooth edges on the leaves, are more supple and pliable not hard or waxy.

Thanks for the recommendations I'll take a look.

Given your location in the great state of Texas, I'd guess you have two species here. The first could be a sand plum, the second a hawthorn. Just guesses, both of those species are thick in the underbrush down that way. Best ID would be to compare against databases of species that grow in your state.
like this one
https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Watershed/growgreen/plantguide.pdf

If you ask here, you will get all manner of wild gooses to chase, since there are people from all over posting.

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
They are both puzzling to me, because I haven't been able to find anything similar to them. I have asked a couple of nurseries in the area and there best guess was some type of H they are both puzzling to me, because I haven't been able to find anything similar to them. I have asked a couple of nurseries in the area and their best guess was some type of Hawthorn and some did not know.

Cornus Foemina (often called Swamp Dogwood) - we don't see those here as they like a warmer climate. The first one puzzles me a bit as it seems to have rather large thorns and I am not that familiar with what grows there naturally.

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be hawthorns, or something else entirely. Hawthorns are pesky in that the many Hawthorn species interbreed like crazy regionally, producing all kinds of "in between" types. The smooth leafed tree MIGHT be a hackberry (Which grow like weeds and are everywhere in your area).

You may not get an exact ID on either, though.

I've found the best thing to do in IDing enigmatic trees is to get a local field guide to native plants and do your own detective work. Nurseries that specialize in NATIVE plants (if you have one around) might be a better consultant.

FWIW, I've collected sand plums and other stuff in East Texas in the Big Thicket. Sand plums are extremely hardy and can make pretty good bonsai. Hawthorns too, if you don't mind not knowing exactly what species they are.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The first one looks like crataegus douglasi (Hawthorn).

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nope, Not a Hackberry....I have several of those around the house and am in the process of air-layering a couple.

I appericae the info.

I suspect it could be some type of Hawthorn, not sure if the ones I posted are native to the area or not. We actually have several Chinese Elms down by our local lake. I am pretty sure they were not planted due to the randomness of placement and sizes (they're all different) I am air-layering a couple of those too. :)

Could be hawthorns, or something else entirely. Hawthorns are pesky in that the many Hawthorn species interbreed like crazy regionally, producing all kinds of "in between" types. The smooth leafed tree MIGHT be a hackberry (Which grow like weeds and are everywhere in your area).

You may not get an exact ID on either, though.

I've found the best thing to do in IDing enigmatic trees is to get a local field guide to native plants and do your own detective work. Nurseries that specialize in NATIVE plants (if you have one around) might be a better consultant.

FWIW, I've collected sand plums and other stuff in East Texas in the Big Thicket. Sand plums are extremely hardy and can make pretty good bonsai. Hawthorns too, if you don't mind not knowing exactly what species they are.

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ok well, I finally figured out the first tree. Not a hawthorn, but it is a Wild Plum aka...(Prunus Americiana).....rockm...you were very close. Now the second one I am still trying to figure out.

http://pixgood.com/american-plum-bark.html

like this one

Top Bottom