Help choose a pot for this big elm.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go with a glazed pot next time. Nice tree.
I am looking forward to have one made for this tree, just wasn't ready yet. I really love what I am seeing from all the talented ceramics artists in the US. I have spoken to John Cannon about pricing, I love his work.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a lovely elm, Wilson. but i think, similar to how my chinese elm broom started in another thread. this would benefit from a good cutback into older wood, to improve it further. i think the branches are far too long and lanky for the trunk at this stage. elms will back bud readily on old wood so i wouldnt be afraid to hack this back.

im not gonna dissect the tree fully, but here in red are major issues that stand out, but there are so many tangled/crossing primary branches, growth in crotches, snaking back branches etc i havnt marked

these areas in red are where there is too much going on, 3 or 4 branches emerging where there should be two. surprised no one has mentioned thiselm (1) (17).jpg

Last edited:

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a lovely elm, Wilson. but i think, similar to how my chinese elm broom started in another thread. this would benefit from a good cutback into older wood, to improve it further. i think the branches are far too long and lanky for the trunk at this stage. elms will back bud readily on old wood so i wouldnt be afraid to hack this back.

I agree 100% Bobby, and this was discussed over the winter. I look forward to rebuilding the canopy, as refinement is still something new to me. Material like this great fun to work with, and I look forward to collecting more deciduous trees. I also love the different types of elms, all seem so great!

Top Bottom