Hoffman

Seed
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I have a Japanese maple here which was repotted from nursery stock about a month ago. I only made one cut, and that was on the top to shorten the tree. Everything was looking great from the repotting up until this last week. At first, just shortly after repotting I noticed 2 very small shoots off the trunk in the middle of the tree turning black and dying, but the rest of the tree was fine. I figured I must have damaged those while moving the tree around and it wasn’t anything big. A few weeks ago by and the Black Death has spread to more small shoots and now it is coloring the trunk in the middle of the tree. The whole tree is beginning to look stressed and I’m worried that this Black Death is causing some serious issues. The black did not start on an area that I had cut. I have attached a photo of the tree before I did any cutting as well. Is it fungus? I ordered some zerotal. Any other recommendations ? Has anyone else experienced this? Should I go all or nothing and cut it below the Black Death in hopes it will stop the spread? This is normally outside, but photos taken inside tonight to get out of a windstorm.
thank you so much in advance.66B0323D-56E9-435B-875D-F55E20DAE1C6.jpeg755367D8-C6FD-4119-8044-761421A519CE.jpeg

35D7F18F-CA71-48EA-8AEC-4A749AA2EBB7.jpeg

Attachments

• 8917F81E-2CDB-41DB-9879-7F047E41D24F.jpeg
    8917F81E-2CDB-41DB-9879-7F047E41D24F.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 23

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I can't zoom in on your pictures but black on a maple generally means death to everything above that point. My guess is this is the Bihou cultivar which has a very high susceptibility to fungal issues. If you don't have black at the soil level then you may be ok but you will still have to cut below the black area. Definitely wait for second opinions and post pictures that can be enlarged as well so you can get additional feedback.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Its likely pseudomonas. You can hit it w/ a spray that lists that among the ailments it treats, but I suspect this one's a goner. I'd sterilize my pruners/saw, cut below the black by a good margin, seal the cut, separate this tree from the rest, and clean my tools again.

Hoffman

Seed
Reaction score
I can't zoom in on your pictures but black on a maple generally means death to everything above that point. My guess is this is the Bihou cultivar which has a very high susceptibility to fungal issues. If you don't have black at the soil level then you may be ok but you will still have to cut below the black area. Definitely wait for second opinions and post pictures that can be enlarged as well so you can get additional feedback.
Yes it is the bihou. Thank you for the advice!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I vote Pseudomonas as well. A vigorously growing tree has a chance of outgrowing the infection, but if the black girdles the trunk, the tree is done. I've used zerotol on several maples with presumptive cases... R.I.P..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When reading the title, I pictured a newb just staring at a tree all day, then freaking out when the sun sets and it becomes shaded!

No worries! Lol! It's only nighttime!

Sorry I'm not right!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom