Help differentiating live vs deadwood on coastal redwood

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I recently expanded my collection to include a few coastal redwoods for the first time. They have been growing very well this year, but I would like to do some deadwood preservation in preparation for the colder/wetter upcoming winter. The rest of my collection is exclusively deciduous so I am struggling to differentiate the live from the deadwood on these redwoods, as I would like to apply some lime sulfur.

Does anyone have any basic recommendations for how to tease the two apart? Am I mostly looking for the color differences? Is it safe to just peel back some of the sloughing bark? I can't find much info on coastal redwoods out there, so any links would be welcome as well.

All of the growth is coming from Side A, but it still looks like there is some healthy bark on the bottom right of side B. When I got the piece from Bob Shimon, the whole base was covered up and I was able to expose this cool arch. There is also a big hollow on the top that is not well appreciated on these pictures. You can see the scorch marks in Side A from an old fire.

IMG_5748.jpg
Side A

IMG_5747.jpg
Side B

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just gently scrape off the flaking bark. The flaky bark is all dead so won't affect the tree underneath. It should be easier to spot the difference between live bark and dead as you get down through the flaking outer bark.
A toothbrush may not be stiff enough to get the outer bark off. A normal wire brush is too harsh and will damage living bark underneath. Picking it off by hand is way too tedious. I have found that a brass brush (available at hardware stores) is stiff enough but not too damaging provided you use it gently.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Believe LS completely unnatural looking on Redwood. Redwood Red not white:eek:. Not desert/dry environment trees with sunbaked wind blasted dead wood but wet place tree where wood rots.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You can dye the lime sulphur if you need.

Found this article on a Redwood demo tree which has this passage...

He also pointed out that in most cases lime sulphur is not needed for redwoods, because they resist rot. Use it if you please, but the whitening it causes is also not natural-looking on redwoods. If you insist on using lime sulphur, consider coloring it to tone down the bright white.

All personal choice at the end of the day.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can dye the lime sulphur if you need.

Found this article on a Redwood demo tree which has this passage...

All personal choice at the end of the day.
Thanks so much for this link. This is exactly what I am looking for.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I used Minwax Wood Hardener on my coastal redwood deadwood.

No tint and no sheen - just prevents water damage during the wet winter season.

Top Bottom