Help! Dying Bonsai (Serissa) -- drying, crisp leaves

Pinay

Seedling
Reaction score
I made a post here 2 weeks ago (photo included) : https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/help-extremely-stressed-serissa-is-there-hope.53040/

It has been 2 weeks since this last post and now my leaves are very dry and crisp. Should I remove the leaves? Trim in any form?
It has gone through a lot of stress and I'm lost with how to better care for it at this point. I truly need your help, if there is still hope.

Also I am looking for any sources, links, videos that you think may be informational and helpful. I see many online but they all share different information at most, so it's hard to trust which best course of action(s) to take.

Information:
Serissa serissoidess
Training : 3 years
Current temps: 50-60F -- (Mistake: placed it outdoors (45-60F) when it was cold for direct sunlight for fresh air as one video recommended it but I learned later that Serissa's do not like to be moved around and don't like direct sunlight if it will be indoors ...sigh)
Placement: Indoor room away from window under plant growing light.

Thank you in advanced!

Attachments

• 265564610_695617001437824_1376782277609206145_n.png
    265564610_695617001437824_1376782277609206145_n.png
    381.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 265083868_453608572818817_4629191198432203204_n.jpg
    265083868_453608572818817_4629191198432203204_n.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 23

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Conflicting info and advice is common for bonsai. In some cases people make generalizations from just one experience but often most of the advice is relevant in different ways at different times in different places.
Removing dead leaves won't save a bonsai. Dead leaves will drop when they are ready but if the dead leaves offend you and you have the time and patience removing them won't hurt either.
I only have a little experience with serrissa. I have found them temperamental too but also they are very tough. Mine have lost leaves a number of times but soon recovered and started growing again so I think you may be over reacting just a little as many newbies do.
The branches look quite long and straggly so I would take the opportunity to trim back to a neat shape then just continue care. Try not to over water as there are no leaves to use up water in the soil now.

Mine seem reasonably happy outdoors in almost full Australian sun. They stay outdoors here all year round and have survived several winters with temps a few deg below freezing so Serissa can be grown outdoors in some places if required.
The reaction to change seems to be a regular feature so I guess keeping these in one place year round makes a lot of sense. Just make sure the site you choose has the best conditions year round and cross fingers.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Something else is going on here, that is evident in the condition of the plant, but we aren't reading it in your post.

Tell us the story of this plant: where you got it, where you moved it to, and where you are keeping it. Did you do anything to the roots? Did you fertilize?

FWIW, you can put a serissa outside in the low 40's and it won't skip a beat. Even in the high 30's. They are planted in landscape throughout Southern California, and they don't care... as long as you don't mess with their roots.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Looks dead, but you never know.

I would leave it under lights, go ahead and remove leaves that are crispy. Keep moist but not soggy. The soil should be allow to just about dry out between watering. Inspect daily to see if it needs water, only water when you stick a finger into the soil at least as deep as the first knuckle. If feels moist, then don't water, if feels dry, take to sink and flood with water, let drain then return to grow light. If new growth sprouts, great. In spring once weather warms STEP SLOWLY into outdoors growing. By "STEP" I mean initially set it outside in full shade, leave for a week to adapt. Then move to morning sun only. Allow a week to adapt. Then move to half day direct sun, then if you think it needs more than a half day sun move it to full sun. Serissa can take near full sun, though half day sun is probably enough. You need to give them time to adapt to it. Thus STEP the plant over the course of a month from indoors to part sun or full sun.

Top Bottom