Help, Dying Quince?

daphantom99

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone... my quince's leaves are turning brown and dropping. Not sure if it's because the Southern California heat we're having lately or something else going on... help if you experience growing out japanese quince.

Attachments

• quince.jpg
    quince.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 55

daphantom99

Seedling
Reaction score
We're officially in the fall months, but here in southern California we've had back to back 100 degree days.

daphantom99

Seedling
Reaction score
Do they lose their leaves in the fall?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Quince are deciduous, but as the leaves get ready to drop they turn a yellow-gold color, not the browning at the edges that your leaves are showing.
What do you have it planted in? My first guess would be that it’s too wet.

Sno

Mame
Reaction score
It looks like heat stress . Some of the tips of the leaves have browned off which can be a sign of not getting water at the right time . I had a hot summer last year and a lot of my landscape quinces looked like this . Interestingly they did not drop most of there leaves in winter . It’s spring here now and they look fine after some good winter rains and snow .

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I used to have alot of trouble with my quince.

It is now my belief that they require their roots to not get hot- 100+ days in the cali sun in a black nursery pot gets very, very hot. I recommend shading the pot with something and adding a layer of sphagnum to the top. The sphagnum also helps to buffer pH and encourage root growth. Heading into fall quince should grow roots explosively before winter, which is also why repots should be done in fall. Mine are in the root growth stage now.

Shade the pot, keep the roots cool, and let us know how it responds.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It looks like heat stress . Some of the tips of the leaves have browned off which can be a sign of not getting water at the right time . I had a hot summer last year and a lot of my landscape quinces looked like this . Interestingly they did not drop most of there leaves in winter . It’s spring here now and they look fine after some good winter rains and snow .
Mine never completely defoliate in the winter, but we have fairly mild winters

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Quince are deciduous. All of mine (including those in landscape) would drop their leaves in the fall when I lived in SoCal.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

It is now my belief that they require their roots to not get hot- 100+ days in the cali sun in a black nursery pot gets very, very hot. I recommend shading the pot with something and adding a layer of sphagnum to the top. The sphagnum also helps to buffer pH and encourage root growth. Heading into fall quince should grow roots explosively before winter, which is also why repots should be done in fall. Mine are in the root growth stage now.

What Joe said... but I'm actually surprised Japanese quince can live in SoCal. I've always thought they were better suited to cooler climates. At least here in much of the SE, we do get periodic freezing temperatures from November through March.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

When we have temps over 80, I put sections of bamboo garden stake under the pots, to hold them off of the hot surface and allow air circulation underneath.
I think black pots are a bad idea in general.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What Joe said... but I'm actually surprised Japanese quince can live in SoCal. I've always thought they were better suited to cooler climates. At least here in much of the SE, we do get periodic freezing temperatures from November through March.

Yes I have to be more specific - I am speaking Japanese quince and not Chinese quince. They do in fact sell Japanese quince in SoCal nurseries - but they are not super common. But my Japanese quince thrived in SoCal. In fact, I had one in a nursery pot that I let grow for a bit and it threw roots through the pot holes, and when I moved the plant, the roots sprouted and it turned into a nice landscape plant :)

daphantom99

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you to those that responded. If it's okay with everyone... I will keep updates and going to re-pot into better draining soil.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not dying. What's your location? I suggest you add it. A full plant picture will be better, I'm curious your Japanese quince doesn't have thorns, do you know the variety? Those brown edge doesn't look dry crispy (lack of water) it could be too much water, what soil/substrate? In the minetime don't panic it doesn't look that bad.

Edited due to wrong wording, sorry!

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you don't mind me asking... what soil mix are you using?
I got one in Moler (pink catllitter) with some old field soil which I need to remove/change this coming spring. Another shohin size it's in 100% akadama. I will suggest a mix with more akadama or bark o some good fiber organic.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not a bonsai, but I have a quince in my garden. The first year it did fantastic, the following year in the autumn the leaves turned brown similar to yours. The following spring no leaves some buds but nothing else. I then realised that my irrigation system was right next to the tree trunk and that the tree trunk was totally shaded out by hostas. I checked the bark at the base and it was rotten. So I put a cylindrical clear trunk protector around it to stop the irrigation water hitting the trunk. Within 6 weeks it was full of leaves. Well the message in this story is try and take a look at the trunk under the soil level. If it feels too soft it could be starting to rot. if so let it almost dry out and ease back on the watering.

Edit: Just read that it is very warm where you are so you are probably not experiencing rot, just ignore what I said! We have a pretty cool climate.

Top Bottom