Help ERC sick?

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
What are these mushy weird orange clumps on my ERC?? B915F834-FA5B-4D99-A5B8-E0DE72F26569.jpeg6C096195-8F64-4795-88A7-97B587AEF900.jpeg470A4BD4-F36C-4205-909F-8A87D6DDA481.jpeg

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
It looks to be a cedar rust... what fungicide to pick!!??

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
No!!! I love it!! I can’t!!! I’m going to try to save it!

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Cut off anything with rust and spray it. I use Monterey Fungi Fighter fall and spring on all my Junipers as a preventative measure, Keep the ERC away from everything susceptible, Junipers, Apples and cedars. You can't get rid of it once the branch is infected. I had it on three (2 Chinese Junipers) these two died one (ERC) I pruned and sprayed and it lived without much damage, bitch is I liked the 2 CJ more than the ERC! If it is all through it then burn it as Wing.it said. I was told you can do a root drench too.

Good luck!

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
From what I remember your evergreens that don't have it are safe for now, a Juniper can't infect a Juniper only a broad leafed tree. It's a 2 year life cycle. I found this link

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
From what I remember your evergreens that don't have it are safe for now, a Juniper can't infect a Juniper only a broad leafed tree. It's a 2 year life cycle. I found this link
Thanks so so much!!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What do you suppose the odds are that the spore hasn't already been ejected and are now resident in the immediate area? The horse is out of the barn. Burn the witch, put the remains in other than the recyclables, begin a 3 year cycle of treating everything in the area in the Juniper and Rose family. The spores don't stop at fence lines, so be prepared to deal with that, too. Good luck.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
What do you suppose the odds are that the spore hasn't already been ejected and are now resident in the immediate area? The horse is out of the barn. Burn the witch, put the remains in other than the recyclables, begin a 3 year cycle of treating everything in the area in the Juniper and Rose family. The spores don't stop at fence lines, so be prepared to deal with that, too. Good luck.
It’s a brand new acquisition and it has been isolated from everything else . It’s been at my office instead of home.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When I was faced with a quandary, my old man always asked me, "What happens if you're right. What happens if you're wrong?" For you, the best case outcome is you treat this critter with time and money and luck and the wounded duck survives and nothing in your area gets contaminated forever. The worst case...

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
It’s was my first tree. It’s only been about 3 months but I’m just so attached.. I cut off all the rust, soaked it in chemical fungicides and quarantined it behind a parking lot.

Attachments

• C00BED25-F375-436F-B46B-DB4756885DAE.jpeg
    C00BED25-F375-436F-B46B-DB4756885DAE.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 48BA1267-9DD7-412E-86B1-D56F5C7FC4C5.jpeg
    48BA1267-9DD7-412E-86B1-D56F5C7FC4C5.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 30

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Cedar-Apple Rust. Yet another joy of ERF as bonsai...
Granular Cleary’s 3336 worked into the soil, and Mancozeb sprayed regularly will help control it, but you will likely never eliminate it.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
The trunk/roots are very cool, better than mine!

"What do you suppose the odds are that the spore hasn't already been ejected and are now resident in the immediate area? The horse is out of the barn. Burn the witch, put the remains in other than the recyclables, begin a 3 year cycle of treating everything in the area in the Juniper and Rose family. The spores don't stop at fence lines, so be prepared to deal with that, too. Good luck. " Forsoothe

It's not just ERC it comes down to Chinese Junipers, ERC and Cedars or Apple, Crab Apple, Rose and Hawthorn. What are the odds that you don't have one from each group near you? If he has it it is out and it is everywhere. He, like everyone is in the middle of a natural cycle that you can't stop. What's the point of killing his tree if it can be isolated and saved, it can be controlled, I think what you should take away from this is that you should be treating all your trees that are at risk.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The trunk/roots are very cool, better than mine!

"What do you suppose the odds are that the spore hasn't already been ejected and are now resident in the immediate area? The horse is out of the barn. Burn the witch, put the remains in other than the recyclables, begin a 3 year cycle of treating everything in the area in the Juniper and Rose family. The spores don't stop at fence lines, so be prepared to deal with that, too. Good luck. " Forsoothe

It's not just ERC it comes down to Chinese Junipers, ERC and Cedars or Apple, Crab Apple, Rose and Hawthorn. What are the odds that you don't have one from each group near you? If he has it it is out and it is everywhere. He, like everyone is in the middle of a natural cycle that you can't stop. What's the point of killing his tree if it can be isolated and saved, it can be controlled, I think what you should take away from this is that you should be treating all your trees that are at risk.
Yes, treat everything in sight that is among the hosts. Once an area is inoculated, it will propagate until there are no more hosts.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Brian Van Fleet is right
Cleary's 3336 in twice, 4 weeks apart, spring and autumn (it has a long half life) And in-between, use Macozeb.

One of the many reasons most of us "old timers" dog Juniperus virginiana, Eastern Red Cedar, is that it is very susceptible to Cedar-Apple Rust, and Hawthorn-Cedar Rust, and Pear-Cedar rust. Just about any member of the rose family has a rust that the alternate host is the ERC. Once a tree is infected, it is likely the infection will be chronic, you may never be able to clear it from the tree's system. And, if it is showing up in your cedars in your backyard, chances are the alternate host is somewhere in the neighborhood. The alternate host does not have to be in eyesight of the infected juniper, the spores are wind born and the alternate host can be a crab apple tree a quarter mile upwind of your juniper.

Shimpaku is not immune, but it is more resistant. Easier to keep clean and possible to cure, where ERC is chronic.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive had it on mine in one spot as well. Keep the tree clean and cut out sections where it does show. It shows most readily early morning as dew is out. You can try systemics like cleary's too.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you don't mind dealing with a stray with a communicable disease that has spontaneous outbreaks. BernzOmatic is the cure.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Juniperus virginiana is the host plant for a variety of “rust” fungal problems including: Cedar apple rust, pear trellis rust and quince trellis rust. If you don’t have any of the effected varieties, pear, apple, quince or Hawthorne, or other ERC you don’t have to rush to kill the tree. Prune off if not too invasive (disinfect between cut; if I remember correctly the timing for fungicide applications for ERC to control this is early/mid fall. It’s much less devastating to the Cedar than it is to its counterparts.

what you’re seeing is the fruiting body of the fungus Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae. Which I personally think are pretty cool looking. I rarely treat the ERC, the treatments are more on the counterpart side of things.

this problem does not effect every plant, only a relatively small group of plants.
9E798B66-814F-4AE0-B3E4-0538EAD43734.jpeg

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
@Brian Van Fleet is right
Cleary's 3336 in twice, 4 weeks apart, spring and autumn (it has a long half life) And in-between, use Macozeb.

One of the many reasons most of us "old timers" dog Juniperus virginiana, Eastern Red Cedar, is that it is very susceptible to Cedar-Apple Rust, and Hawthorn-Cedar Rust, and Pear-Cedar rust. Just about any member of the rose family has a rust that the alternate host is the ERC. Once a tree is infected, it is likely the infection will be chronic, you may never be able to clear it from the tree's system. And, if it is showing up in your cedars in your backyard, chances are the alternate host is somewhere in the neighborhood. The alternate host does not have to be in eyesight of the infected juniper, the spores are wind born and the alternate host can be a crab apple tree a quarter mile upwind of your juniper.

Shimpaku is not immune, but it is more resistant. Easier to keep clean and possible to cure, where ERC is chronic.
It is the other way around, ERC are the host; where pears, quince, Hawthorne and apple are the alternate host. The alt hosts do not infect ERC. Anything in the Juniperus family can be a host but the main one is the ERC.

I did not know about rose.

Top Bottom