Help for AZ Guy

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey guys!

So, I was born and raised in Oregon for 44 years. I got into Bonsai around 2001, then I got side tracked with life issues around 2012. In 2017 I moved to Phoenix, AZ. Recently I started reading and getting excited about getting back into Bonsai. I’ve been a long time forum member, but have never really posted...more reading and learning as I go. I’m more of a quiet guy, and sit back and listen.

In Oregon, I had access to a couple of local nurseries for pots and accessories, and a local landscape supplier for pumice, cinder, potting soil, and Turface. Bulk pick-up was cheap and easy!

Here in Phoenix, it seems like things are more difficult to come by. Or, maybe I just don’t know where to go?

I left almost all of my trees in Oregon when I left, and the couple I brought with me didn’t survive here. Basically I don’t have any trees, other than some seedlings I ordered online recently. I love growing things and have some great palms, Avocado, and Pineapple plants going!

If anyone has advice on where to go for product, I would appreciate it! Tips, tricks, advice is all welcome!

Thanks for letting me ramble on!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
There are several members her from AZ maybe @AZbonsai could help you out.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey. Welcome to Phoenix! After this plague you will have to join Phoenix Bonsai Society. Pretty active group. Look up their website for info. We mostly go to local nurseries for material. They do a bus trip to Cali once a year and have folks come in for workshops. This covid crap has us shut down but we will be back.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah, I would like to meet the club and possibly join. I was a member of the Cascade Bonsai Society for years. I learned lots and made friends.

In the meantime, I plan on collecting soil ingredients, maybe gather a tree or three, and start back in.

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I ordered 6 each 50 lb bags of Turface today. Should be here in about a week or so. Any ideas where I can find a deal on pumice and cinder?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think the north face of Mt. St. Helens has more than they need...

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the link, I’ll check that out. I’m hoping to find something local though. Usually shipping costs are more than the product.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Free shipping in the US, and the price per gallon comes down as you buy larger amounts.

Top Bottom