Help Fukien tree

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have two fukien trees and they are not doing well I fertilized them and one of them lost all its leaves and the other one has lost quite a lot of leaves and is not doing well any suggestions I usually water everyday temp about 80 degrees humidity 70% any suggestions would help has anyone else experienced the curse of the fukiens?

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some pictures of the tree would be helpful.
Where are you keeping it?
What soil is it in?
What fertilizer and how much?

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am keeping it indoors they are both kept in boons mix fertilizer is dyna gro and I only mix 1/4 tsp per gallon and place a 1/4 full in watering can and fill the rest of the watering can with water!!!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmm, and the soil is dry when you water? Generally trees kept indoors don’t need watered daily. Rather than following a watering schedule it’s best to assess the soil daily and decide whether or not to water. If it’s getting dry then water, if not, let it be.
How long have you had the trees?
If you’ve recently acquired them, then it’s likely that the change in environment is the cause. But if you’ve had them for a while, I might suspect over-watering is the culprit. Prolonged wet feet equals root rot.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was only watering to when they needed it and following the fertilizer the one lost all its leaves and the other proceeded to lose its leaves but is growing new ones and I have had them a while I love fukiens but they do not seem to love me. this is my 4th and 5th fukien I was letting them dry out and they started dropping leaves I feel like I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. I check all of my indoor trees everyday to see if they need watering and usually only water when they need it but these fukiens have me puzzled I was only watering every few days and then one of them lost all its leaves and the other one started to lose its leaves so I think upping the watering might have saved the leaves on the one with a few. I do not know.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Put them in the brightest spot you have, water them when the top of the soil feels dry, don’t let the soil go completely dry. If they’re pushing out new leaves then all is well. Too wet and two dry are both killers, so aim for a happy medium lol
Most will suggest putting them outside, but I’ll assume since they’re indoors you aren’t able to do that. So a south facing window is the next best.
Sounds like a watering issue, likely not related to the fertilizer.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My room gets hot about 78 - 80 degrees but I do not let it get much hotter I could but I think they do better with this

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My room gets hot about 78 - 80 degrees but I do not let it get much hotter I could but I think they do better with this
Stick to the routine and have wait. Time is important 👍
You got this.

Glen Y

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
My wife has a Fukien tea that she bought 8 years ago. She waters it about every 7 - 10 days, fertilizes it with miracle gro liquid (put some in water until it turns sorta blue!). It is in the same pot (never been repotted) Sitting on the kitchen counter with 3 60w overhead lights. I kept thinking it would end up on my bench (where her old plants go to die). But so far.....

Attachments

• 2BDAF337-1D4F-4D58-80DE-315B13A808F3.jpeg
    2BDAF337-1D4F-4D58-80DE-315B13A808F3.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 0BD8D14A-71FA-4230-A10C-1FA7ED231E87.jpeg
    0BD8D14A-71FA-4230-A10C-1FA7ED231E87.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 40

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My wife has a Fukien tea that she bought 8 years ago. She waters it about every 7 - 10 days, fertilizes it with miracle gro liquid (put some in water until it turns sorta blue!). It is in the same pot (never been repotted) Sitting on the kitchen counter with 3 60w overhead lights. I kept thinking it would end up on my bench (where her old plants go to die). But so far.....
and congrats on the kickass kitchen setup!!

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Man your posts are very difficult for me to read without any punctuation.....

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry about the missing punctuation my Grandmother would be appalled!!!! LOL!!!! She was a very articulate school teacher.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I had one for about a year. It grew like crazy, flowered like crazy.
Then it up and died like crazy.
Oh well.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I had one for about a year. It grew like crazy, flowered like crazy.
Then it up and died like crazy.
Oh well.
They are fickle little bastards.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The fukien with the leaves now only has two leaves little ones and the rest is vacant. I am ready to give up on fukiens, does anybody have any recommendations that would help!!! I do not know what I am doing wrong! What do you all think should I give up on fukiens? They are one of my favorite trees.

Top Bottom