Help! I got a Bonsai and Can't Identify it!

Joonie

Seedling
Reaction score
I got two Bonsai for my birthday and I haven't been able to Identify the ten year old one. I know the baby is a juniper of some kind and would love for some advice on care but I'm really worried about the older one. Not knowing what he is makes me really anxious that I'm not doing proper care. The lady I got them from was very experienced but I can't remember much of what she said.
The older one has dark green leathery leaves with a thorn at the tip, it blooms white flowers year round and they smell super sweet and strongly at that.

IMG_8514.jpgIMG_8468.JPGIMG_8467.JPG

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Carissa macrocarpa the flowering one, the other looks like a conifer maybe thuja or chamaecyparis

Last edited:

leandroaveiro

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know what species it is but...
1) Obvious question: Can you reach out to the lady from who you got the trees?
2) You can take a picture of one of the leaves and do an image Google search.

Joonie

Seedling
Reaction score
Carissa macrocarpa the flowering one, the other looks like a conifer maybe thuja or chamaecyparis
Thank you! I've been having problems with the flowers turning brown before they bloom so now that I have a name hopefully I can fix that.

Joonie

Seedling
Reaction score
I don't know what species it is but...
1) Obvious question: Can you reach out to the lady from who you got the trees?
2) You can take a picture of one of the leaves and do an image Google search.
The lady owns a bonsai farm with her husband and she was super sweet and technically I could call her but she was from South Korea and it was hard to understand her as she has a thick accent. The photo search is a good idea though, thanks for the help!

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Joonie,

Can you e-mail the lady? Fair game to say "thank you again, I really like them, and I just want to make sure to check again what's best for each of them." (Easy to be excited and not write it down the first time... Been there, done that myself!)

Best wishes,
Amy

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
The Carissa its tropical so if you live in cold climate keep it warm, the conifer sure will grow better outside

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Very nice Natal Plum (Carissa). Mine really enjoy being outside as long as nighttime temps are 50 or above. If that tray under the pot is attached, I would dump off the excess water, they don't like to be soaking wet.

Top Bottom