Help! I think my tree is dying!

Pjain5768

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg So I'm new to bonsai and I got this Fukien tea tree about a year ago and it was doing fine, but then I repotted it into a different pot and the leaves started to become darker and would fall off if you just touched them. I looked online and assumed that it may not have been getting enough water so I started to water it more often but the situation has worsened. If anyone could tell me what is going on I would greatly appreciate it.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Soil looks to be the culprit. Probably staying too wet.

Gregory DeNinno

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What type of soil did you repot it in? Is it indoors or outdoors. I have several that i've rescued from big box dead and dying discount racks and they grow like weeds when they are happy. They are tropical so they need lots of sun and warm temperatures.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The number one thing to learn when growing anything in a container is how to keep the roots happy. If they are not they will slowly (or quickly) die...and the plant is dead. A whole book could be written on this subject alone but the basics are, *repot during the ''up time'' (when the tree is not going into dormancy but has a growing period ahead ...this can even be after summer), *Do not over water after repotting. Just once well and then only after it dries. This forces roots to grow. *The container should dry out reasonably quickly. If it does not it is too big and/or the medium is too fine. Cut roots + wet substrate leaves the plant open to infection. Never feed straight after potting.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mine gets angry after repotting or moving in for winter. Drops about 1/4 of its leaves over a couple weeks but never all wilty like that.

If it was a little wilty, from being too dry, it should have perked up within 24 hours after watering. Experience talk there ;)

If soil is wet check the soil daily for being moist. Don't water if it is wet. You might need to dig down a little to check. Just try not to disturb any roots.

You shouldn't give up on it yet but don't be sad if it does kick the bucket. Walmart wants us all to buy a new on every year. Keep that economy rolling!

PS: We all loose trees sometimes. Read more, learn from mistakes, Don't give up! :cool:

Pjain5768

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpg thanks everyone for replying! I re potted it recently and I used this all purpose soil mix off of amazon. What soil should I use?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Fukien teas can be fickle little bastards. I had a cheap Wal-Mart one for a couple of years, and basically ignored it. I let it in the same crappy pot and soil and watered it once in a while if I thought about it. Then I got more interested in bonsai and decided to take better care of it. I put it in better soil, was more careful about watering. So you would think it would thrive. Nope, died within a month. I know this isn't much help, just letting you know you're not the only one.....

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That tree looks dead, or close to. If you can grow palm trees where you live, that Fukien tea is on the wrong side of the window. Get that puppy outside and see if it will bounce back.

Karjef

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 128410 View attachment 128409 So I'm new to bonsai and I got this Fukien tea tree about a year ago and it was doing fine, but then I repotted it into a different pot and the leaves started to become darker and would fall off if you just touched them. I looked online and assumed that it may not have been getting enough water so I started to water it more often but the situation has worsened. If anyone could tell me what is going on I would greatly appreciate it.
I'm fairly new to Fukien Tea's as well. However, here is what I've learned. Those tall shoots should be cut back. Keep it tight. Do you fertilize it? If you live in warm weather, let it go outside. If you are in the cold like me, put a clear or white bag over it to act as a little hot house. Good luck.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm fairly new to Fukien Tea's as well. However, here is what I've learned. Those tall shoots should be cut back. Keep it tight. Do you fertilize it? If you live in warm weather, let it go outside. If you are in the cold like me, put a clear or white bag over it to act as a little hot house. Good luck.
Just don't let the bag touch the leaves!:cool:

Pjain5768

Seedling
Reaction score
How far back should I cut the shoots?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How far back should I cut the shoots?

At this point.....

Do what I do....

Just bend em till they break back where they are alive again.

You may end up at the roots!

Pretty sure you qualify as the youngest person here.
Which is very cool, as youth is scarce!

If this tree doesn't make it....don't give up!

Plant some seeds!

Stick with it!

Write your story better than these!
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/what-is-my-the-expectation-of-the-tree.25939/unread

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are tropical

I've read them defined as sub-tropical.

http://www.bonsainut.com/posts/391493/

I believe outside of Florida, or where they can actually grow all year....
These Fukien trees tend to want to sleep some.

If I had one....

I wouldn't let it see below 60F outdoors...
Maybe even higher.
Try to keep them "tropical".

It seems Anthony's climate is ideal for these to sleep some....

If up here, these drop leaves, or begin dormancy, we begin a downhill battle trying to, "switch sides", or, "bring the island in the house", we must find and keep them at that perfect temp to stay asleep, which is, impossible as bringing the island in the house....
Not because of the giant landmass, but because of the necessary water surrounding it. There is simply no way to contain the water! Lol.

But seriously.....

Tree's don't "get mad", that aren't "finnicky", of all the stupid human traits we attempt to bestow on our trees, no one ever says anything about these.

"Sub-tropical", these trees can go either way, once in a way, they must stay that way, but we revive them again with bags and lights and heat and sprays and they just keep dying as if.....

I just realized how well thought out the plan is for Selling this crap....
Pretty flowers, shiny leaves.....
"Bonsai" sounding name...
Auto death mode....

Burn them....
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/the-burn-pile-newbie-graduation.25911/

Burn them all....!

Fukien the Tea tree!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh.....

And for your next tree....

I'd sift the worm castings and everything as fine out of the soil bag.

Sorce

Reaction score
Remove from pot, plant outside. When alive next year, put it in pot again with good growing medium.

Top Bottom