Help ID my Bonsai

El Boter

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi! I’m brand new to Bonsai. My partner bought me this beautiful tree as a birthday gift. She gave me a helpful video from the seller about how to water the tree etc. But I can’t actually figure out what kind of tree it.is. I currently have it in a sunny south-west facing window in an apartment on the East Coast of the US. But I’m not sure if it’s supposed to live indoors or not (though it was sold as an indoor plant). Can anyone help me out with an ID and any tips for this particular tree?

Attachments

• 8C0EB559-D6FA-4A9B-8D07-52881076E534.jpeg
    8C0EB559-D6FA-4A9B-8D07-52881076E534.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 70E665EC-A7D3-4D16-B3D9-B6B082E2437A.jpeg
    70E665EC-A7D3-4D16-B3D9-B6B082E2437A.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 19
  • 1441D109-EF4D-4ECA-89CB-240B8FC0ACDC.jpeg
    1441D109-EF4D-4ECA-89CB-240B8FC0ACDC.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 21
  • B23BC514-1AD2-4EE5-B822-06CAC952C514.jpeg
    B23BC514-1AD2-4EE5-B822-06CAC952C514.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 20

El Boter

Seedling
Reaction score
Oh sorry, I didn’t see your second sentence. How frustrating - it was sold as an indoor tree. So, now that it’s mid-winter - should I move it outside or keep it in for now?

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you - so is this ok in my window this winter, or should I be doing something else with it?

It's an outdoor plant a... Chinesis Juniper, Nana or Green Mountain….If it has to remain indoors find the coldest place at a indoor window, maybe outdoors on a window ledge so you can visually still enjoy it...Very little water just don't let the roots dry out or freezz...They are a very hardy outdoor Bonsai plant. If to stay indoors lightly spray the foilage once a week...They are hard to kill & usually from drying out...It will survive indoors with a lot of attention and care, 60F or so... outdoors they will survive on their own usually. Your 4th pic shows you have styled it very nicely and it is in a shallow pot, so be sure not to let it dry out but don't drown it either....Enjoy your Bonsai Juniper, take care of it, it is a gift of Love....

El Boter

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you Bolero. Very helpful!

Unfortunately, I don’t have any outdoor space or outdoor window ledge. But I’m keeping it in the coldest window in my house, where it will get light and I think I’ll put a humidifier near it. Would it be a good idea to open the window and let it get air even when it’s windy? I’ll check it doesn’t dry out.

I’m a total novice so thank you!

Petebak

Mame
Reaction score
Sorry to say but that tree will die if kept indoors, it's just matter of time!

El Boter

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry to say but that tree will die if kept indoors, it's just matter of time!
Oh... that’s a real shame. I have no outdoor space in my apartment. Is there anything I can do to help elongate its life while I can?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So the advice above about indoor care is wrong?

For many people, it would be more trouble than it is worth. Not impossible - but a lot of work trying to replicate the natural conditions in which they grow. Don't feel bad - not sure what it is but a lot of mass market retailers sell junipers as indoor trees. They aren't. Even if you were able to keep it alive by placing it in a south-facing window with tons of light, you would probably find that the growth would become sparce and leggy.

You might be happier if you found a tropical tree that likes to hang out indoors all year. Something like a ficus, fukien tea, Chinese sweet plum, or a Chinese elm. ALL trees are going to need bright light - so if you don't have direct sunshine pouring in a window, you will need to consider artificial lighting (which, with the advent of LED grow lights, is actually not as problematic as it sounds).

Last edited:

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Your admitted circumstances are less than wonderful for outdoor Bonsai kept Indoors however it can be done....Bonsai Nut offers some wise and wonderful opinion and advice & he is experienced...

El Boter

Seedling
Reaction score
Your admitted circumstances are less than wonderful for outdoor Bonsai kept Indoors however it can be done....Bonsai Nut offers some wise and wonderful opinion and advice & he is experienced...
Thank you Bolero and Bonsai Nut for all your advice. Very helpful. I'll do my best with this tree and I'll consider getting some indoor ones next.

Top Bottom