Help ID Old A. Palmatum variety

JTrips

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
On my stroll down Main St. today, noting tree progress and scavenging seed,
I came upon a large A. palmatum (I'm new here so don't trust me).

IMG_4518.jpg

It has a high resolution twig profile, and a small leaf.

IMG_4517.jpg

There are few seeds hanging still, but enough to help ID the seeds deposited in the tree lawn below.

IMG_4542.jpg

Since they've been in the grass all winter, are they ready soak a day or two, then sow in a community container outside but protected? Inside better?
We've got a month+ of frost left.

Thanks
JJJ

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maple make seed even if the flowers weren't pollinated. If this is the case the seeds will be hollow --> cut a few seeds in half and see. If they are solid then put them on a damp paper towel and into an unsealed plastic bag and stash it in your frig until spring is underway there. Then take them out of the frig and they ought to sprout in a few days. You can pot them before or after they have sprouted. It makes no difference to them, but it is easier for you to see if they've germinated keeping them in the bag.

Note that even though the seeds may have already had ample chilling, this cold stratification (usually) will keep them from germinating until you want and you won't loose new seedlings to a surprise frost.

Pretty much regardless of the variety of this old tree, the seed will not be true. Depending on what other tree supplied the pollen, you may have some unusual new variety, but most likely just something generically green leafed. The all should grow quite robustly, which is just what you want for bonsai IMHO.

JTrips

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks, 0soyoung, will do.
I already have a few Acer varieties I purchased under that protocol.
Also I collected a palmatum with a much larger seed that I started strat on in January.
A couple of those sprouted in the fridge and I moved to medium indoors under light.

Top Bottom