Help ID This Pine

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All of the pine species of Pinus subsection Pinus which includes P. thunbergii, resinosa, densiflora, nigra, mugo and others for a total 19 species plus all 7 species of the subsection Pineaster, which includes Pinus pinea and halepensis all have 2 needles. All would thrive just fine in Texas. There are an additional half dozen 2 needle pines from other subsections of the Pinus genus, so the list of suspects is long.

Better photos of the buds, taken from the side would help. It might not be possible to really sort out just which pine this is until it is old enough to produce a pine cone or two, as the arrangement of prickles on the scales of the pine cones is diagnostic to species.

So one can guess, but until the tree produces cones, one might not know for certain.
Leo your input is always appreciated! You, along with a few others on here, have been overwhelmingly amazing sources of knowledge and advice.

As for the tree, I guess time will tell. For the time being, it's going to be right next to my mugo and we will see how it does.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The discussion on warm and cold tolerant species had me confused but I gather some of the discussion is about species suitable for warmer climates.
My climate is relatively warm compared to many BNut members. Winter nights dip just below freezing but snow is rare and frozen ground unheard of. Daytime temps are always above freezing in winter. Summers are long, hot and dry. Highs of 40C (100F) are relatively common so maybe I qualify to offer direct experience.

JBP grows really well here. It is my favorite pine for bonsai. It grows and develops far better than any others I've tried. JRP grows well but I have killed a couple with too much water. I have a few mughos growing well for more than 25 years and JWP doing well for 15 years. I also tried Scots pine for a while but could not control the growth so don't grow those any more.

P. radiata is our most common forestry species. Logepole, ponderosa and maritime pines also grow well here. Pinus nigra, P. halapensis, P. brutia and P. pinea also thrive here.
To the west and north of me where it gets progressively warmer and drier P. halapensis is the most common species for landscape plantings.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The discussion on warm and cold tolerant species had me confused but I gather some of the discussion is about species suitable for warmer climates.
My climate is relatively warm compared to many BNut members. Winter nights dip just below freezing but snow is rare and frozen ground unheard of. Daytime temps are always above freezing in winter. Summers are long, hot and dry. Highs of 40C (100F) are relatively common so maybe I qualify to offer direct experience.

JBP grows really well here. It is my favorite pine for bonsai. It grows and develops far better than any others I've tried. JRP grows well but I have killed a couple with too much water. I have a few mughos growing well for more than 25 years and JWP doing well for 15 years. I also tried Scots pine for a while but could not control the growth so don't grow those any more.

P. radiata is our most common forestry species. Logepole, ponderosa and maritime pines also grow well here. Pinus nigra, P. halapensis, P. brutia and P. pinea also thrive here.
To the west and north of me where it gets progressively warmer and drier P. halapensis is the most common species for landscape plantings.
This gives me hope! It sounds like we have similar climates in a lot of ways. Maybe I should get into pines more. I saw a really nice JWP with about a 3" base at a local nursery today for about $200. I'm sure the roots are a nightmare, but it was tempting. Knowing you have had good luck with these pines in similar climate makes me excited to see how my two pines will do after their first repots and maybe getting more.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Candle extension has given way to a pinkish hue on the tips. Still unsure what he is, but he took repotting like a champ.

Attachments

• PXL_20220326_222825056.jpg
    PXL_20220326_222825056.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220326_222841919.jpg
    PXL_20220326_222841919.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My plant ID pointed me to Austrian pine. Same looking fuzzy “flower” things, two needle- split cylindrical and 3-6” long

Zone 4-7

Top Bottom