Help identify this soil composition

Shan Anand

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello folks.. Can you help identify this Bonsai soil composition. I have seen this composition from large Bonsai nurseries like Wigert's etc., Also what type of fertilizer are those green pellets in the soil?

Attachments

• 20151212_102556_HDR.jpg
    20151212_102556_HDR.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 50
  • 20151212_102608.jpg
    20151212_102608.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 48

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks to be a pumice, bark, and maybe some other aggregate mix.

No offense to wigerts, but mix your own according to your climate!

Shan Anand

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks.. I am doing my own mix and was curious about this composition that came with a tree that I purchased. Any idea about the green pellet fertilizer in the soil?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks.. I am doing my own mix and was curious about this composition that came with a tree that I purchased. Any idea about the green pellet fertilizer in the soil?
I guess some left overs or just for more drainage plastic ball, but it's not important. (well it is when u need to fert and stuff, but it's not needed for the basic soil mix itself). I mix my soil myself and most important is drainage (big chunks of something and not solid mud, and possible you need some moist retaining stuff.).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Foemina

er...wait..that just slipped out!

Lol....keep in mind.....there is NO other reason to return to this thread!

Thanks for that! I'm outtha here!

Sorce

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I believe the mix is pumice, scoria or black lava rock, and pine bark. Lots of pine bark.

The green pellets are a slow release fertilizer like osmocote. Might be polyon. Brussels uses it too.

Scott

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also what type of fertilizer are those green pellets in the soil?

No telling unless the manufacturer tells you. There are quite a few green slow release fertilizers out there. I have seen them range from 40-0-0 for veggies to more appropriate ranges for Orchids, Trees, Roses, and more. If purchased in Bosai soil I would "guess" they range at 13-11-13 or similar but again you should just call them if it is a concern.

Might be polygon. Brussels uses it too.

If they just tell you it is polyon(not polygon) good luck - they sell close to 200 variations;)

Grimmy

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The green is most likely shake and feed by Miracle Grow

Shan Anand

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks, guys for the valuable input. Yes. I have seen the same fertilizer in Brussel's too..

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks, guys for the valuable input. Yes. I havit's seen the same fertilizer in Brussel's too..
And they use liquid triple 20 every other week, in addition to using so much of the green stuff it's nearly a soil component for them.

Top Bottom