Help Identify tree

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Unkn Tree 001.jpgUnkn Tree 002.jpg

This tree has to be removed in Spring, do you think it is bonsai material and what is it. I do not see the thorns so I knocked Hawthorne out.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That is a dogwood, which are not very good for bonsai. You can tell it's a dogwood by the bark ;)

Being a land surveyor, I am obliged to ask what kind of monument is that at the base of the tree?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
What monument?

I don't think it is dogwood; bark is close, but not a clearly enough checked pattern.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What monument?
There is a disk with a star on it just to the right of the trunk.

I don't think it is dogwood; bark is close, but not a clearly enough checked pattern.
The bark is just immature. You can tell even more by the distinct flower buds on the ends of the twigs and the structure of the twigs themselves.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
There is a disk with a star on it just to the right of the trunk.

The bark is just immature. You can tell even more by the distinct flower buds on the ends of the twigs and the structure of the twigs themselves.

Agreed on both the monument and the ID...only a surveyor would notice such an unobtrussive marker:cool:.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
That is a dogwood, which are not very good for bonsai. You can tell it's a dogwood by the bark ;)

Being a land surveyor, I am obliged to ask what kind of monument is that at the base of the tree?

Unknown what that is...should I dig it up? Or is it just a land mark. That house that it is next to has been there since 1894.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unknown what that is...should I dig it up? Or is it just a land mark. That house that it is next to has been there since 1894.

Never dig up, or dig next to or otherwise disturb a monument like this. It takes a good bit of effort to set something like this in the ground, and it was likely not done randomly. It probably has a purpose.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Never dig up, or dig next to or otherwise disturb a monument like this. It takes a good bit of effort to set something like this in the ground, and it was likely not done randomly. It probably has a purpose.

Agree. It's probably against the law to disturb it, anyway. Thankfully, I don't see much in the plant that screams out "Bonsai!" to me. You surely can find something better.

Darned good eye spotting it. I stared at those pictures for several minutes w/o seeing it.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

I second this-it could be/have been very important to someone, and whether they are still there or not I think there are plenty of other tree's to collect.

Top Bottom