Help Identifying a Japanese (?) Bonsai Book/Magazine (???)

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Received this from a well-known Northeastern bonsaist, George Gracey, via my mother. Have a feeling the slipcover is on upside-down, as the writing is on the wrong side of the book (obviously meant to be read right-to-left). Other than that, I've never seen anything like it here - beautiful bonsai pictures, and a few advertisements in the back. It's sort of like a yearbook.

What I thought was really interesting were the mix of more contemporary bonsai styles and those more favored throughout most of the 20th century. I'm guessing this is from the late 70s/early 80s - is that when the style was just beginning its transition to the more triangular, bottom-heavy formations?

Anyway, anyone who can tell me anything about it would be immensely appreciated. It's a cool little thing to have.

Attachments

• bonsaibook1.jpg
    bonsaibook1.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 25
  • bonsaibook2.jpg
    bonsaibook2.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 24
  • bonsaibook3.jpg
    bonsaibook3.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 24
  • bonsaibook6.jpg
    bonsaibook6.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 20
  • bonsaibook4.jpg
    bonsaibook4.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's an old exhibition album, probably 25 years ago. The title is One Tree Exhibition sponsored by a group from Omiya bonsai village. Most of the trees are from the professional bonsai artists and some from clients. I don't think that exhibition takes place any more.

Yes the book cover is upside down….

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks so much, William. Nice to know I was on the right track as per the cover/yearbook aspect of the album :)

It's an old exhibition album, probably 25 years ago. The title is One Tree Exhibition sponsored by a group from Omiya bonsai village. Most of the trees are from the professional bonsai artists and some from clients. I don't think that exhibition takes place any more.

Yes the book cover is upside down….

Top Bottom