Help identifying a Satsuki cultivar. Any hint is welcome.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
It's a simple one, lovely color and shape.
I would love to know its Japanese name.

IMG-20230501-WA0005.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Isn't that Yata no Kagami? But with a very pale flower only? Not sure because only one flower that is atypical for the wide range. But seems somewhat close.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Isn't that Yata no Kagami? But with a very pale flower only? Not sure because only one flower that is atypical for the wide range. But seems somewhat close.

Thanks , I have a Yata no Kagami and the color of the flowers are much stronger.
But it could be, I appreciate it.
Let's see if anyone has another go.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Since we are talking about Satsuki naming, I've got a few others that I'd like to identify as I am not really sure about their names.
Images below, if anyone could help I'd be very happy.

Purchased as Yata no Kagami
20230415_094227.jpg
20230510_082315.jpg

Purchased as Akemi no Tsuki
20230324_100017.jpg
20230408_100535.jpg

Unidentified cultivar n# 1:
20230507_144652.jpg

Unidentified cultivar n# 2:
20230506_154614 (1).jpg

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• 20201205_111626.jpg
    20201205_111626.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 8

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Pitoon could you give us any hints here?
Without tags it's almost impossible to pin point to the exact cultivar. The flowers that are genetically mutated are somewhat easier like kinsai, hanabin, chojuho...etc. Other than that is all a guess. Ensuring tags dont get lost is extremely important.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Ot pinkI don't think that is Yata No Kagami, I have a number of them and the flower is much darker though the flower color does vary some.
This is Yata No Kagami.
Yes, I've got a yatanokagami that is red&white, not pale pink.
This one above is from a good friend that needs to be sure of the cultivar for sales purposes.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't think that is Yata No Kagami, I have a number of them and the flower is much darker though the flower color does vary some.
This is Yata No Kagami.

You can have all the flowers go pale. The egg-shape pattern can get so dominant that it leaves you with only reddish tips. Just like the flower in the OP.
Because I remembered that Clicio had a labeled Yata no Kagami, this was my guess. Also, because they can compare this one to the labeled Yata no Kagami and compare flower shape or leaf shape.
Also, I saw there were more flower buds on this plant. But it could be this is a pale sport that no longer can produce the solid reds and red with tamafu.

I also thought it may be Yata no Kagami because of the flower shape, the stamen count (though 5 is extremely common) and the colour and positioning of the blotch.
If you'd argue that we should probably call it 'Shinkyo' instead, fine sure.
Since tsumabeni is not very common, I'd say Yata no Kagami is still a good guess.
What other common satsuki have tsumabeni and have this flower shape (elongated petals)?

Actually, for the plant labeled 'Yata no Kagami' I am surprised how rounded and ruffled the petals are. That is non-standard.

The 'Akemi no Tsuki' seems correct.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why do satsuki have 5, 6, or 7 petals I thought all species were identified by petal number?

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Rhododendron species generally have 5 petals. However cultivar were selected or cross-bred for certain mutations, including an unstable number of petals.
1693578621747.png

Top Bottom