Help identifying new tree?

Elihatt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I picked up and potted this tree this morning, it is from someone’s garden. They called it a “French delight” but I can’t find any evidence of that being a common name for a species for a variety of any species either. Some of the leaves are red/purple, most are green. I am in Arkansas for what it’s worth. Bark looks like crepe Myrtle but doesn’t feel like it, more leathery? Thank you

Attachments

• B79845CE-9DFE-4B54-BEFF-FADFEBC29F68.jpeg
    B79845CE-9DFE-4B54-BEFF-FADFEBC29F68.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 25
  • B89CE265-5169-421F-A12E-7EFF764F212C.jpeg
    B89CE265-5169-421F-A12E-7EFF764F212C.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 28
  • F50A4D89-ABC7-4BF5-A6B8-8BC74AF57296.jpeg
    F50A4D89-ABC7-4BF5-A6B8-8BC74AF57296.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 24

Theo Smith

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I picked up and potted this tree this morning, it is from someone’s garden. They called it a “French delight” but I can’t find any evidence of that being a common name for a species for a variety of any species either. Some of the leaves are red/purple, most are green. I am in Arkansas for what it’s worth. Bark looks like crepe Myrtle but doesn’t feel like it, more leathery? Thank you
Hey there,

I’m not sure but, it does look like a Farkleberry Latin name Vaccinium Arboreum. Also called a Sparkleberry if you’re more of a Disney fan. Here’s a link below with some descriptions. UF also has some information on it. It looks like it would do well in your zone. I hope this helps!

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Are the leaves sort of rough like sandpaper?? Maybe Knockaway (ehretia anacua)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks to me like a camellia... but I can find no mention of "French delight" cultivar. A bunch of "French" and a bunch of "delights" but with more than 2000 camellia cultivars out there, hard to pin down.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha also just saw your post in the other i.d. thread, it's a loropetalum

Top Bottom