Help Identifying pine

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
Need help identifying pine. The trunk is white and there are 5 needles per bundle. Mature needs grow up to 2.1 inches or 5.3-5.4 cm long. It's growing fairly fast and I just applied osmocote today (didn't fertilize it before). I think it's an eastern or western white pine but I'm not sureIMG20230125195203_00.jpgIMG20230125195156_00.jpgIMG20230125195145_00.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Where are you located and where did you get the tree? This will be important information to help identify the species.

I would guess Eastern White Pine based off the pics and 5 needles per bundle, but hard to say without more information.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just to be sure, you’re keeping the pine outside, right? It’s growing because you’re in the southern hemisphere? Not because you’re keeping it inside out of the cold? If you’re keeping an eastern or western white pine indoors, that’s a sure way to kill it.

In terms of identifying the tree, it also helps to know where you live and where you got it. Species of pine are hard to distinguish out of context.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need your location--state would do. Could be a lot of things. Without more detail, we can't really help.

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
Just to be sure, you’re keeping the pine outside, right? It’s growing because you’re in the southern hemisphere? Not because you’re keeping it inside out of the cold? If you’re keeping an eastern or western white pine indoors, that’s a sure way to kill it.

In terms of identifying the tree, it also helps to know where you live and where you got it. Species of pine are hard to distinguish out of context.
Yes, it stays outdoor all the time. Just brought it inside for pictures.

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
Where are you located and where did you get the tree? This will be important information to help identify the species.

I would guess Eastern White Pine based off the pics and 5 needles per bundle, but hard to say without more information.
I live in Bangladesh and I got it from a local nursery. They didn't seem to know much about which variant of white pine it is.

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score

Need your location--state would do. Could be a lot of things. Without more detail, we can't really help.
I live in Bangladesh and I got it from a local nursery. They didn't seem to know much about which variant of white pine it is.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

What we call eastern white pine in the United States is Pinus strobus. I would not have guessed it would be possible to grow it in Bangladesh.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If this in Bangladesh, I wouldn't be so sure it's Eastern White Pine (Pinus strobus). Could be a few other things, including Japanese White Pine (pinus parvifolia). Number of needles isn't definitive for ID. Pine cones are more informative as to exact species.

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
Could be Pinus Armandii this is one on the right the one on the left is stone pine both just experiments
for some reason the photo won’t upload

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If this in Bangladesh, I wouldn't be so sure it's Eastern White Pine (Pinus strobus). Could be a few other things, including Japanese White Pine (pinus parvifolia). Number of needles isn't definitive for ID. Pine cones are more informative as to exact species.
As fast as apparent growth, also droopy needles seriously doubt could be JWP:confused:.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As fast as apparent growth, also droopy needles seriously doubt could be JWP:confused:.
Which is more likely in Bangladesh--a native North American pine, or an Asian species?...Like I said, trying to determine species from needles is mostly futile.

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
Here it is

Attachments

• C152A858-77A6-4247-91D3-4F3F9F80D060.jpeg
    C152A858-77A6-4247-91D3-4F3F9F80D060.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom