Help identifying this tree please

EdyRay

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I found this tree in pretty bad shape mid winter. It was about 6’ tall and someone had broken the trunk and what leaves it had were dead. I dug it up chopped the top once and again when it showed signs of growth. I have no idea what it is but you might?

Attachments

• 3830645A-1BBB-4FEB-9109-AB1331D0BB09.jpeg
    3830645A-1BBB-4FEB-9109-AB1331D0BB09.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 73
  • D6D3A57C-D791-4049-86CC-926E6BD797F3.jpeg
    D6D3A57C-D791-4049-86CC-926E6BD797F3.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 1398A5AA-3241-469D-8D44-1E7B7A4A79F9.jpeg
    1398A5AA-3241-469D-8D44-1E7B7A4A79F9.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 67

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Location can often give great clues to species ID so either tell us where the tree came from or fil your location in the personal profile for much better feedback.

Good ID @Mikecheck123 I agree that this looks very much like a Brachychiton species.
Down here these are natives but I don't know of anyone who would refer to B. populneus as bottle tree. The usual name for that species is Kurrajong as there are a couple of other more northern (tropical) species that have fatter trunks that are called bottle trees.
Brachychiton are relatively easy to transplant and respond well to pruning as you've already discovered but ramification of branching is difficult so it is unlikely you'll be able to build really dense branching.
FYI most growers down here would repot Brachychiton in warmer weather - late spring through to mid summer as they seem to respond better then.

EdyRay

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you @Mikecheck123 and @Shibui. I kept coming up with the Brachychiton species but the thin bottle tree foliage didn’t quite match and threw me off. Kurrajon is the specific name, I was able to find an img. of one as a bonsai. I look forward to adding this to my collection as I’ve never seen them as bonsai here in California. Is there a soil mix you recommend? @Shibui

Attachments

• D29FAE34-10D3-4D63-B707-F9CEB8F37782.jpeg
    D29FAE34-10D3-4D63-B707-F9CEB8F37782.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 46

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good luck! There are so many Australian natives that I wanted to try. But that's much harder now that I've moved to the cold confines of zone 7. :)

I still have one plucky Bailey acacia, which is actually hardy down to 20F. I keep dreaming of a bonsai with that surreal blue feathered foliage.

What's funny is that if you search for "bailey acacia bonsai", one of the top hits is actually my own bonsainut post where I'd listed a few for sale when I moved away from California. Not a great sign! :)

The other one, which I don't have, is the stately Geijera parviflora. But sadly, online scammers have completely obliterated it's name beyond all recognition such that 'Australian willow' now refers almost exclusively to online scammer sites selling garbage Salix cuttings.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Is there a soil mix you recommend?
I've had a couple growing in my standard bonsai soil - 70% fine pine bark, 30% propagating sand for a few years but without spectacular success. I just checked the Victorian native bonsai club database but nobody has listed details for Kurrajong yet.
The usual habitat for kurrajong, and most other Brachychiton sp, is open, well drained soils, deep sandy loams in drier areas or rocky hillsides down here in wetter areas so it would appear they don't like wet roots.

Good luck with this species.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I kept coming up with the Brachychiton species but the thin bottle tree foliage didn’t quite match and threw me off.
Kurrajong can have a variety of leaf shapes too. Young trees often have deeply divided leaves that look way different to the normal heart shaped adult leaves.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Good luck! There are so many Australian natives that I wanted to try. But that's much harder now that I've moved to the cold confines of zone 7. :)

I still have one plucky Bailey acacia, which is actually hardy down to 20F. I keep dreaming of a bonsai with that surreal blue feathered foliage.

What's funny is that if you search for "bailey acacia bonsai", one of the top hits is actually my own bonsainut post where I'd listed a few for sale when I moved away from California. Not a great sign! :)

The other one, which I don't have, is the stately Geijera parviflora. But sadly, online scammers have completely obliterated it's name beyond all recognition such that 'Australian willow' now refers almost exclusively to online scammer sites selling garbage Salix cuttings.

A bit late and a bit off topic, but what in particular makes the cuttings garbage? I've never bought them but took some cutting myself recently. Is it just garbage because they present them like they'll naturally grow into the bonsai pictured? Or because there is a better way than cuttings to propagate willows for bonsai?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A bit late and a bit off topic, but what in particular makes the cuttings garbage? I've never bought them but took some cutting myself recently. Is it just garbage because they present them like they'll naturally grow into the bonsai pictured? Or because there is a better way than cuttings to propagate willows for bonsai?
Weeping willow is the worst possible bonsai species, perhaps.

Top Bottom