Help identifying this Tree

ABKallday

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi I'm new to this site. Recently acquired a new tree I've been told it is a common ash (Fraxinus excelsior). Any help confirming this would be a great help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190724-174530_eBay~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20190724-174530_eBay~2.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20190724-174542_eBay~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20190724-174542_eBay~3.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 77

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Despite the dodgy pictures it does look like some sort of Fraxinus - opposite compound leaves and smooth bark. that's as far as I'm prepared to go without clear photos of the whole tree, individual leaves, older bark and new bark.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I hope you're not in the Mid Atlantic....all our Ash trees are destined to be turned to ashes in the fireplace.
Borers 😠

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Kinda looks like your classic s-shape “Fukien tea” from Walmart. not sure though with those pics. Maybe a close up of the leaves could help

ABKallday

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will post a close up picture. No I'm in the UK it's a beautiful native here but threatened by the ash die back fungal disease that has come from Asia. I wanted to preserve one from the pending doom.

ABKallday

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the response so far guys hopefully I can confirm it is the common ash

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190725-155137_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190725-155137_eBay.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 33

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ash is a good guess I think. The bark looks "Ashish" too :D I mean it's very light and smooth on younger specimens.

I had one that was beginning to look good, but it died last year. I should have repotted it, the roots can be very strong and invade the pot, which is not good when the temps are high.

At least, we don't seem to have the problem you have in Britain. One of my late uncles lived in New Ash Green : I wonder what this town would called now...

Why don't you mention your location in your profile, country, county, nearest big city, ... ? You don't need to mention your postcode ;)

ABKallday

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right thanks. I was personally going to wait for the spring for confirmation apparently it will have black buds if it is a common ash. I'll make a note of that when I repot it. New ash green is still there, a small village outside London near to sevenoaks. Updated the profile now thanks 😁

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Older bark, new shoots, opposite buds and those leaves all tally with ash so just remains to check winter buds.
Can you treat ash die back with fungicide to protect it?

We are also battling increasing numbers of exotic pests and diseases. As international travel becomes increasingly easier more and more travellers seem to think it is their right to flout quarantine and bring in seeds and plant material which inevitably brings disease with it.

ABKallday

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the help. I know really frustrating the borders need to toughen up to this sort of thing. No unfortunately not its said in 20 years 95% of the ash population will be gone here. It is the second most common tree in the UK after oak. All they can do is try and quarantine but studys have shown that it could be a pathogen and spread by spores in the air.

Top Bottom