Help identifying tree.

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to Bonsai and have just purchased my first tree to see how i get long with caring for it before investing time and money in growing and all the right equipment.

Could anyone help identify the tree i've purchased and confirm if it is an indoor or outdoor tree.

Many thanks.

Lee

Attachments

• Tree 1.jpg
    Tree 1.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Tree 2.jpg
    Tree 2.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 59

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome. I am not sure on the species. My first guest was chinese elm but I am not sure after zooming in on the new shoots.

Remember all trees are outdoor trees. Some can be kept indoors but all will benefit from being outside when the climate is right.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia.

Usually sold as as a mass production "bonsai", usually touted as an "indoor bonsai". Reality is that it is a bit tricky to keep indoors year round. In fact, for most of the USA & Europe, it is winter hardy outdoors. However it is too late in winter to put outside. Just give it a spot near your sunniest window until spring. You can successfully treat it as an outside for summer, indoors for winter tree.

Check to see if it needs water daily. Only water if the soil is dry about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. Flood the pot with water at the sink, let drain, return it to the window sill.

Enjoy.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Confirm that it is indeed a Chinese elm. one of the thousands that are grown every year and wired into that lazy S shape.
'a bit tricky' is probably just a little understated in relation to keeping these indoors so it will be best to work towards making it an outdoor bonsai when possible.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I see a lot of green grass out the window. That's not Maine out there. In bonsai, just like real estate, the 3 most important things are location, location and location. OP?

Top Bottom