Help identifying type!

Reaction score
Hey! I'm brand new to bonsai... Hoping I can get a bit of direction!

I have ginseng ficus, and have just bought this new one (picture attached)... But I'm not quite sure what type it is or general care for it!

Any help would be HUGE!

Attachments

• 15962395105448156201723033329571.jpg
    15962395105448156201723033329571.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 40

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You are now the owner of a Juniper. Probably Juniper procumbens and the variety 'nana' is usually sold as bonsai. Look after it as for most junipers.
Outside is best for junipers. feed, water and prune when it gets too long.
I see that you have not given a location in your profile so it is hard to give specific details about things like winter or summer care.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Shibui covered it! I agree, Juniperus procumbens.
Junipers love sun! Outside year-round is best. Give her the most sweltering spot in your garden, but don’t let her dry out - she may never forgive you!

Reaction score
Thanks for the info folks! @Shibui , I live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada... Warm, moist summers... Cold dry winters. Surrounded by the Great lakes!

What's my strategy for repotting? I've heard every 2 years... But is that from germination? It's in a 5inch pot right now and is about 5-6 inches tall. Also... What's my best mixture for repotting soil??

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Repot ball trees when needed, not by a calendar. Several reasons to repot: The tree has grown too bit so looks funny in the pot; roots have grown and completely filled the pot (most common - happens every 1-6 years with younger trees. Test by pushing down on the soil. If it is rock hard repot, if still spongy leave it); soil mix has decayed into sludge and needs replacing; You want the tree to grow faster (repot into a larger pot or into the garden for a couple of years)
The current pot looks fine for size unless you want it to grow quicker. Before deciding whether to repot you really need to decide what you want from this tree.
Asking about soil will reignite soil wars III. Everyone has a favorite soil mix but they are all different and everyone firmly believes that theirs is the best and only one to use. Find out what other experienced bonsai growers in your area use and try that for a start.

I repot juniper down here in mid spring but many growers now repot after mid summer. They don't like real hard root cutback but I would not expect a newbie to be game to cut off too much. Up to 1/2 should be OK if you do it. Juniper also have a reputation for not liking too much pruning or shaping at the same time as repotting so most growers limit juniper work to one major process each year. Down here procumbens seems to be much more forgiving an I can style and repot without adverse outcome.

Top Bottom