Help identifying yamadori

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hello all. About a month ago I collected this guy from my work place. It was growing in an area of flower beds where landscapers were definitely gonna cut down so I went out and rescued from its pending demise.
I cut above it where new leaves where being formed as I had read apparently would’ve been too much for the transplant to hold up. Tap root and a few little feeder roots came out and has survived Texas summer (so far). Is it a maple? Parent trees have a beautiful marble white bark.

Attachments

• 5CA92A3F-0296-4080-B3FD-16300F0E9350.jpeg
    5CA92A3F-0296-4080-B3FD-16300F0E9350.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 001635C9-50CC-47AB-8CF6-A9A231225037.jpeg
    001635C9-50CC-47AB-8CF6-A9A231225037.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 67

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
😲😲😲 that's poison ivy!

Or looking at how upright it is, it could be posion sumac

Although, opposite arrangement, now that I'm looking, and you said white bark, could be Acer negundo, the boxelder maple.

I've never seen it, but my first thought was posion ivy...

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I edited my post, I think you're alright
Haha okay. I appreciate your help! Either way. We shall see as it ages what it turns into. Will update this thread as months go by to find out how this baby looks like… if it survives the summer heat!

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
yes, boxelder. When young it's easily confused with poison ivy. But it has opposite buds, while poison ivy is alternate.
Thanks Brian! I am excited to work with this new material:)
Tons of trees at work so I see plenty of styling inspiration in nature.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do your best and I wish you the best, but there is like .... a million trees easier to work with.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Do your best and I wish you the best, but there is like .... a million trees easier to work with.
I’m sure you’re right about that but this is just one project I’d like to see what type of experience I get from it. Thank you

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'll go with Box elder too - Acer negundo. A weedy species down here so seedlings pop up in garden beds wherever there's a large tree nearby.
A. negundo is a very tough species so good for training bonsai growers. Internodes tend to be long and leaves large so not much used.
Enjoy learning techniques on this one.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'll go with Box elder too - Acer negundo. A weedy species down here so seedlings pop up in garden beds wherever there's a large tree nearby.
A. negundo is a very tough species so good for training bonsai growers. Internodes tend to be long and leaves large so not much used.
Enjoy learning techniques on this one.
Thanks for the input! Definitely gonna practice just basic common horticulture techniques and see what happens. I’m always intrigued by new stuff, not looking for a masterpiece out of it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’d like to see what type of experience I get from it.
It isn't going to be a good one.
It might be a learning one though.
In other words,throw it back.
It's a box elder for gods sake!
The weird,big leafed bastard cousin to a maple.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
😲😲😲 that's poison ivy!

Or looking at how upright it is, it could be posion sumac

Although, opposite arrangement, now that I'm looking, and you said white bark, could be Acer negundo, the boxelder maple.

I've never seen it, but my first thought was posion ivy...
Coming from one with Green Mamba on hand.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
For anyone interested.. very surprised this guy has basically taken root and grown thru the extreme Texas heat! Today I did some basic trunk wiring for shape. Whether I’m supposed to do it this season or not, I didn’t care. It’s such a hardy one that I want to test it to its extreme.
I did an okay job, broke a bit the top two leaders in the apex but not completely so here’s hoping the live vein is still there. If not, well… hopefully for a bit of ramification!

Attachments

• 78F71364-403C-45C3-B9E5-6A756E152E15.jpeg
    78F71364-403C-45C3-B9E5-6A756E152E15.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom