Help, I'm not sure what to do

Parn

Seed
Reaction score
Hello I'm new here, I have been looking for answers on how to help my bonsai.
It's a ficus ginseng (I believe, it was a gift and I can't remember exactly if it was this) and I have him for almost a year now, until now I had no big problems but a week ago my plant began losing more and more leaves (they first turn yellow than fall).
I haven't moved him from his spot (not in direct sunlight but he gets plenty of light) nor have I changed his watering schedule (usually once a week once the soil is dry and with bottle water not tap water). I was told this could be from a lack of humidity so I started spraying his leaves with water (again, with bottle water and not tap water) once a day.
Another thing I was told is that it could be from the lower two branches that sprouted, I think they could be suckers? But I haven't removed because I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do...
His trunk also started listing more and more to the side so i staked him against (I did this today after a lot of unsuccessful research and panicking) what I had on hand.
Here are some pictures (but I'm not sure if the files can be opened sorry-)

Attachments

• IMG_3633.HEIC_compressed.pdf
    119.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3634.HEIC_compressed.pdf
    123.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3635.HEIC_compressed.pdf
    110.6 KB · Views: 11

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nope can’t see the pictures
try attaching them directly from photo app and resize when prompted instead of saving as PDFs. ?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I can see the pictures after downloading them. They showed up as PDF files.
Have you fertilized your tree? Ficus is a tough tree so even though the spot may not be suitable to it, it lives but gets weakened over time. Try to bring it to another spot with a little more light and give it some nutrient and see what happens.

Chop_n_Change

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
fertilizer on a weak tree tents to just stress the tree. it looks like the pot is slipped into the white pot, can you take the tree out of the white container? it may be sitting in water if there are no drain holes, which could be rotting the roots. is the trunk spongy, or squishy in any way?

if it were mine, i would take it out of the pot to look at the root ball without disturbing them. if they look black/rotten, cut those bits off, then nurse it into another pot with sphagnum moss. no Fertilizer and water less often until the tree starts putting on new leaves. to me, it looks overwatered.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From the look of the soil, Most likely problem is too much water. Too little and too much watering produces the same results--yellowing dropping foliage and dead roots.

Ficus likes well-drained soil and doesn't like to be soggy. It's planted in mud/potting soil. It could probably use a repotting into actual bonsai soil...

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
fertilizer on a weak tree tents to just stress the tree. it looks like the pot is slipped into the white pot, can you take the tree out of the white container? it may be sitting in water if there are no drain holes, which could be rotting the roots. is the trunk spongy, or squishy in any way?

if it were mine, i would take it out of the pot to look at the root ball without disturbing them. if they look black/rotten, cut those bits off, then nurse it into another pot with sphagnum moss. no Fertilizer and water less often until the tree starts putting on new leaves. to me, it looks overwatered.
You are right. I was assuming the tree is in the right kind of pot and soil but that is a dangerous assumption. Anything can happen with these bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Make with them good files!

Sorce

Parn

Seed
Reaction score

Thank you for your answers (not sure how to tag everyone)!!! I clean the white one and empty it of water or moisture after I water the plant usually... but I checked now and the trunk does feel a little spongy near the base. I have to stop watering and change the pot then?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My initial thought is it’s fall. Even tropical trees in a temperate climate will drop leaves

I started putting mine outside and now it’s fully outside and it dropped 75% of its leaves over the course of mid Sep- end of Oct

Soil could be too wet. When mine was inside, it could go 2wks+ between full waterings. The soil is just normal potting soil, so just doesn’t dry out that fast. I’ve pulled it out of its container a number of times to make sure roots aren’t dying, and they’re fine from what I can see. It’s in a normal plastic pot which is in a ceramic pot. It’s how I got it at the grocery store (father’s day present display). I’ll prob repot in the spring

Chop_n_Change

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for your answers (not sure how to tag everyone)!!! I clean the white one and empty it of water or moisture after I water the plant usually... but I checked now and the trunk does feel a little spongy near the base. I have to stop watering and change the pot then?
letting the soil dry ( but not bone dry) between watering--with less leaves (either from stress, or seasonal dropping) the tree will use less water and should be kept on the dryer side until you start to see new leaves forming. the trunk should have some give, but not feel squishy under the bark. time will tell. good luck!

Top Bottom