Help! It this mold on the moss? (pictures attached)

Jermo

Seedling
Reaction score
Dear all,

Recently, my partner and I bought a bonsai with some moss. However, it seems that the moss is not doing so well. I attached 2 pictures of the bonsai with the moss. Can anyone tell whether there is mold on the moss?

Your replies are highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 14.03.40.pngScreenshot 2020-04-06 at 14.05.14.png

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
looks like moss kept indoors. ?

Jermo

Seedling
Reaction score
@Forsoothe!, thanks for your reply. Indeed the bonsai has stayed inside over the winter since we were afraid that it would die due to the cold. So you reckon it looks like this, because it has been inside for the last months and that it has nothing to do with any mold issues?

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
First of all, I'm not 100% sure this classifies as bonsai? Looks to be more of a seedling of sorts.

Is the moss live or preserved?

Was this planting shipped to you? Perhaps in a small dark container?

I've never had molds on my mosses because they are naturally growing in mostly shady, wet spots where mold might grow anyways. Only fungus which spreads quickly and I have to remove infected areas asap.

Does the "moss" have a root system if you pull it out? If so then it is not moss, but is similar to what people call irish moss, scotch moss, korean moss, etc. which is actually like a small/short grass with roots. The melted tips could in this case be more burnt or fungus affected.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would dump the moss its doing nothing to help your little pine grow.

Moss inside is difficult to keep alive because of how dry the air is. Unless its kept humid in an enclosed environment, it doesnt nornally do well. It looks like the tips of your moss are simply drying out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

The way...

World Class international Bonsai Mega Star Ryan Neil explains it....

Moss is a buffer between hard water and the soil. It seems showing those effects.

But so is the tree, so hell with the moss, save the tree!

Sorce

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I just read your last post about keeping it inside. Can you verify if this is true moss, alive/preserved?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, it's mold, and moss isn't forever, either. Out in its native environment it sends out spores every year and some of it dies, but you don't notice the dead parts because they deteriorate and just become the substrate upon which the new spores grow, so it looks like it never changes. While most moss' look alike to you and me, some need sun and some need shade, and this is not optional. You need to collect moss from the same exposure that you intend to use it in. This is your lucky day. Included is an attachment on how to collect moss!

Attachments

• Mossification small photos.pdf
    897.3 KB · Views: 19

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Yeah, it's mold, and moss isn't forever, either. Out in its native environment it sends out spores every year and some of it dies, but you don't notice the dead parts because they deteriorate and just become the substrate upon which the new spores grow, so it looks like it never changes. While most moss' look alike to you and me, some need sun and some need shade, and this is not optional. You need to collect moss from the same exposure that you intend to use it in. This is your lucky day. Included is an attachment on how to collect moss!
Wow this guide is awesome thanks Forsoothe!(!)

Very nice summary of how to identify/collect/maintain.

If you like the moss I would just take it out and put it in another shallow container, try putting that somehwere where it will thrive/spread. You can even try making your own low-ph fertilizer!

Jermo

Seedling
Reaction score
First of all, I'm not 100% sure this classifies as bonsai? Looks to be more of a seedling of sorts.

Is the moss live or preserved?

Was this planting shipped to you? Perhaps in a small dark container?

I've never had molds on my mosses because they are naturally growing in mostly shady, wet spots where mold might grow anyways. Only fungus which spreads quickly and I have to remove infected areas asap.

Does the "moss" have a root system if you pull it out? If so then it is not moss, but is similar to what people call irish moss, scotch moss, korean moss, etc. which is actually like a small/short grass with roots. The melted tips could in this case be more burnt or fungus affected.
@HENDO, thanks for your reply. We bought it in Kyoto, Japan. It was sold at a temple and the moss including the seed were already in the pot. We just gave it water on a regular basis so that the seed would sprout. It's a pine according to the paper we received with it.

Jermo

Seedling
Reaction score
@Forsoothe!, thank you very much for your advice and the manual on how to collect moss! Highly appreciated! 🙏

Jermo

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

The way...

World Class international Bonsai Mega Star Ryan Neil explains it....

Moss is a buffer between hard water and the soil. It seems showing those effects.

But so is the tree, so hell with the moss, save the tree!

Sorce
@sorce, thanks for your reply! Indeed, saving the tree is the most important!

Jermo

Seedling
Reaction score
I just read your last post about keeping it inside. Can you verify if this is true moss, alive/preserved?
@HENDO, it's true moss and it's alive. I'm not sure whether it is preserved though..

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This looks like salt(mineral) creep to me. Either from fertilizer or hard water.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I agree, the crust on the moss is not mold, it is salt deposit, salt accumulating from the evaporation of water & or fertilizer.

Do you live in a place where you could grow this tree outdoors? If yes, it would appreciate being outdoors. If you are in an apartment it needs the brightest window you have.

If you are able to grow it outdoors, It should be perfectly hardy through your winters in Japan.

green moss

Seedling
Reaction score
Dear all,

Recently, my partner and I bought a bonsai with some moss. However, it seems that the moss is not doing so well. I attached 2 pictures of the bonsai with the moss. Can anyone tell whether there is mold on the moss?

Thanks in advance.
View attachment 294043View attachment 294044
Dear all,

Thanks in advance.
View attachment 294043View attachment 294044
Hi:

You had a question about planting the moss outside. Moss can live in the cold and the heat. What it can't abide is time underwater. It will drown so don't plant in low spots where water pools. Some mosses are more tolerant of sun and water than others. They all grow 4 seasons of the year. Your moss is either a bit dry at the tips OR has mud that can be washed off.

Moss prefers rainwater, so it's nice to collect and put into spray bottles for little patches like this. Larger areas have to be spritzed with a hose during very dry times. Never water during the hottest hours of the day. I like to water right before sundown so the plants can use the water all night long. A quick spritze waters just the moss while denying weeds.

Good luck with your moss and seedling.

Top Bottom