Help! Massive Juniper Scale(?) Infestation!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Imidacloprid a Neonicotinoid and is linked to neurotoxic, reproductive and mutagenic effects. It has been found to be highly toxic to bees and other beneficial insects. It is also toxic to upland game birds, is generally persistent in soils and can leach to groundwater. I wouldnt really want to be using it in my garden as other safer alternatives are available, but you guys know best what works for you LOL!!!

As are most insecticides, they kill things, so wear the proper PPE when using, I did mention the "responsible use" of chemicals. We are talking about a juniper, so bees are not really a concern here, especially a with a systemic. As for other beneficial insects, I don't think their are too many on the OP's tree, and there aren't many who eat scale.

Unless you grow your own food at home on virgin soil, you eat food every day that has had pesticides, fungicides, and who knows what else sprayed on it. Farming on an industrial scale requires the use of may chemicals, if they did not, when you went to the market all of the corn would have worms in it, the lettuce would be half eaten, and the fruit would be eaten up too.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
"It has been found to be highly toxic to bees and other beneficial insects. It is also toxic to upland game birds, is generally persistent in soils and can leach to groundwater."

That is pretty well par for the course, they are all very toxic to bees, birds, fish and amphibians, you do not spray in the wind or around water. I was wondering what the other guy was going to do with a bucket of insecticide after treating the tree.
Also if you use systemics you need to keep the wildlife off the fruit, possibly cut the flowers too.

I usually only mix up what is needed, if any is left over, it is pour on one of the numerous fire ant beds that are always around. It kills them, also.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Unless you grow your own food at home on virgin soil, you eat food every day that has had pesticides, fungicides, and who knows what else sprayed on it. Farming on an industrial scale requires the use of may chemicals, if they did not, when you went to the market all of the corn would have worms in it, the lettuce would be half eaten, and the fruit would be eaten up too.
100%👍

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I am aware of the differences between systemic and contact insecticides. If you “look up” IPMs for armored scale, they ALL say Imidacloprid is ineffective in controlling armored scale, despite it being a systemic. Again, I am completely open to the cultural difference between bonsai and landscape leading to a difference in effectiveness. I am simply asking if anyone has experience pointing to effectiveness of Imidacloprid vs armored scale (ideally in junipers), which would be really helpful for many people. This is especially true since almost every credible resource on a google search of the topic says the exact opposite. I can tell you that “look it up, dummy“ responses are not helpful to anyone.

Here is an example of what university extension services say about Imidacloprid and armored scale:

From what I gather, it is not effective in this case because armored scale feed from the plant’s cambium, and Imidacloprid does not easily penetrate into these tissues. Conversely, soft scales feed on the phloem, where the chemical is abundant.

I did not simply say "look it up, dummy", I am sorry you feel that way. In reading some of your responses I was unclear if you knew the difference and suggested that you google it. I read the article that you referenced and it mentioned the very armored scale that I and my mother-in-law had infesting our magnolias, false oleander scale. I applied the Bayer product, that I mentioned, that contained imidacloprid and it wiped them out. Also, in the same article, it mentioned tea scale, which had infested my camellia. I used the same product to treat it and it worked. So, I can speak first hand of the effectiveness of imidacloprid on, at least, those two types of armored scale. Perhaps, it is because most of the activity was on the leaves, which do not contain cambrium, which is the major part of the infestation in the OP's tree, I see no reason why it would not work there also.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
While timing has been brought up, I would like to relate an experience of mine. At about the same time as treating SJ Juniper I also had scale on a pine, what was interesting was that it was just as the shoots elongated, the needles had not yet opened and harden, they were still in bundles lying close to the shoot making the easily seen and treated. They were white and just starting to hunker down. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it, the life cycle of the scale is timed (I am thinking) to coincide with the production of fresh juicy soft and tender shoots, a new food source never before tapped into. These thing can't move after the initial migration. I would say that Junipers are probably not much difference and suggest you pay very close attention at the firs signs of growth. There is also a second batch of crawlers in late summer early fall.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
For further info Imidacloprid Neonicotinoid use has been linked in a range of studies to adverse ecological effects, including honey-bee colony collapse disorder (CCD) and loss of birds due to a reduction in insect populations. In 2018, the EU banned the three main neonicotinoids (clothianidin, imidacloprid and thiamethoxam) for all outdoor uses.
Several states in the United States have also restricted usage of neonicotinoids out of concern for pollinators and bees.
Obviuosly the small amount of chemical you might use on a bonsai pales into insignificance compared to the industrial scale of pesticideusage in modern farming .
The message Im trying to get across is that there are safer alternatives for us, including dish soap and cultural practices- which some of you have dismissed as old wives tales. I guess some of you are happy eating a Chlorinated fried chicken!!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
For further info Imidacloprid Neonicotinoid use has been linked in a range of studies to adverse ecological effects, including honey-bee colony collapse disorder (CCD) and loss of birds due to a reduction in insect populations. In 2018, the EU banned the three main neonicotinoids (clothianidin, imidacloprid and thiamethoxam) for all outdoor uses.
Several states in the United States have also restricted usage of neonicotinoids out of concern for pollinators and bees.
Obviuosly the small amount of chemical you might use on a bonsai pales into insignificance compared to the industrial scale of pesticideusage in modern farming .
The message Im trying to get across is that there are safer alternatives for us, including dish soap and cultural practices- which some of you have dismissed as old wives tales. I guess some of you are happy eating a Chlorinated fried chicken!!

I did not come here to argue about the merits of pesticide use, only to offer the OP some sound advice about how to save his sentimentally valued tree rather than chance it to old wives tales and ineffective home remedies for such an advanced infestation. So, I am done.

Oh, and by the way, I will take chlorinated fried chicken any day of week over meat pies and black pudding on toast. I would rather have a two inch thick chlorinated ribeye steak, rare, but chicken will do. Thanks!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@AJL
I wish you the best of luck trying to grow bonsai without the occasional need for some form of pesticide.
If you cant do that then bonsai is probably not the hobby for you.
Its a nice pipedream, but I prefer not to live in a fantasy land of unicorns and rainbows, desperately wishing the nasty buggies not decide my trees should be lunch.
It doesnt work that way.

No one is going to let a tree they invested hundreds or thousands of dollars and many years in just get eaten by some bug.
Just like no one lets termites and ants eat their house.

Sometimes you have to use pesticides
I would love to use a systemic which is more directed but most if not all of them are banned for sale in my area.
Imadacloprid is banned for home sale/use in my area however commercial pesticide applicators can use it

Lots of people here have to use fungicide EVERY summer or the have trees with chronic and sometimes deadly fungus issues.
Every chemical has a label that each user should be prudent enough to READ and follow the instructions and recommendations for PPE use.
Each label also has environmental conditions for use and places that use should be avoided (ie never apply in high winds or near water bodies)
The key is PRUDENT and wise use, WHEN NECESSARY. Not bathing everything it it every day.

Last edited:

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello o wizened ones,

I come seeking your insight. I think I made the mistake of using Cypress bark in my cold frame this year. When I pulled this Juniper out, I was horrified to find many of the branches yellowing. Upon closer inspection, I discovered the horrific sight captured in my attached pictures. I believe this is scale, correct? I am hesitant to use a systemic pesticide, because handling such things makes me nervous. Could anyone tell me how to proceed? The tree is a San Jose Juniper. I pulled out my shimpaku and nanas, and the scale was not on them for some reason.

What can I do, kind and insightful practitioners?

Thank you 😊

First and foremost you want to attack this with a lot of neem or horticultural oil. The. Depending upon effectiveness go to a direct contact insecticide

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I use horticultural oil on San Joses and it doesn't effect the color but there are some junipers that are very sensitive. I have heard that neem oil has other properties that make it different than horticultural oil and specifically warn of a yellowing of foliage. I suggest you do a google search horticultural oil and neem oil before you spray. I have read the label on my product Green Earth but a generic search of horticultural oil brought up a U of Tennessee article that had a lot more info on the dos and don'ts of usage.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Be careful with Neem Oil.
If you use it, keep the tree out of the sun until it dries, especially if its warm out.
It has been known to fry a tree when its in the hot sun

Top Bottom