Help me build a cool, remote watering system

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Whats up bnutters. I got a job lined up for this summer and may be moving to Chicago. Problem is, I can't bring my trees with me.

I use an automatic watering system as well as help from my mom to care for my trees when I'm away but it would be too much of a burden to have them help watch over my trees for a few months. I plan to use some kind of overhead sprinkling system but the key thing is that I want to be able to remotely control its schedule and duration. Can anyone refer me to reliable and adaptable system? Or if anything a good programmable unit that can be remotely controlled?

I have no idea how much something like this will run me, but if its a good reliable system I am willing to lay out the dough for it. Many thanks.

Julian

Random User

Reaction score
Can you just plant them in the garden and water them (have them watered) periodically with a lawn sprinkler?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Can you just plant them in the garden and water them (have them watered) periodically with a lawn sprinkler?
Lawn sprinkler does not work fortunately and running it will waste a lot of water. The trees still will receive hand watering if needed but the water system is intended to reduce the work needed to look after my trees.

To note these will not be just left alone solely dependent on the water system. If I move I will leave them with my parents, but having a reliable and capable water system will reduce the work they need to do.

Last edited:

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It would be even cooler if you set up a few cameras so you could actually watch things getting watered even if you are on the other side of the world! So how much does a reliable automaton cost these days?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
It would be even cooler if you set up a few cameras so you could actually watch things getting watered even if you are on the other side of the world! So how much does a reliable automaton cost these days?
This is what I was wondering. I'm sure something exists in the market but no idea how it would be priced.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think you would want to set up your trees with a standard automatic sprinkler system, but use a WiFi enabled controller - assuming your parents have WiFi where your controller will be located. That way it will water automatically, but you have manual control if you want to override the program.

Here's a $200 solution (for the WiFi controller only) that looks pretty slick (for up to 16 zones).

You can set up a redundant system with a couple of different zones - like one zone for overhead sprinkling and one zone for a drip system, or one zone for your deciduous, one for pines, etc. No system will be foolproof however. Even with an automatic system I constantly have to shift plants or adjust for changing conditions. Plus the sprinkler heads themselves can get clogged, etc.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I think you would want to set up your trees with a standard automatic sprinkler system, but use a WiFi enabled controller - assuming your parents have WiFi where your controller will be located. That way it will water automatically, but you have manual control if you want to override the program.

Here's a $200 solution (for the WiFi controller only) that looks pretty slick (for up to 16 zones).

You can set up a redundant system with a couple of different zones - like one zone for overhead sprinkling and one zone for a drip system, or one zone for your deciduous, one for pines, etc. No system will be foolproof however. Even with an automatic system I constantly have to shift plants or adjust for changing conditions. Plus the sprinkler heads themselves can get clogged, etc.
The plan is to put all the heat sensitive trees in one area and the more vigorous zone hearty trees in another. I'm hoping I can get a flexible water system to work for 80% of the time and the rest can be corrected with help from my parents.

Things like my oaks, junipers, ficus, most elms, and my washington hawthorne are pretty bullet proof and will tolerate heat and varying water conditions. The maples, pines, and other deciduous not so much. Hopefully I can be creative and work something out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Nice!

Hit me up.

If there is anything I can do to help you out don't hesitate to ask.

If you want to ship a couple trees you Really can't leave I can keep em here for you.

Neighborhood info?
Rentals?
A "Guy"? (For anything)

I got you.

Where you land a job at?

Sorce

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Sorce! If there's anything I have a question with I'll let you know! I appreciate the offer too. The job's at Argonne National Labs.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I evaluated several options and also plan to buy a Rachio this year. My advice from building lots of things is to keep it as simple as possible. Think about redundancy: if one emitter fails, is there overlapping coverage? Boon for example uses stick emitters with irritation emitters as a redundant backup. Rainbird has their PRS emitters that fail safe, which also reduces risk.

One note on Rachio: you may have to use the IFTTT plugin to get precise scheduling. Their native software wants to auto schedule everything and last I checked could not run the same zone at multiple intervals, e.g. 7am and 2pm on hot days.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Looks like a rachio unit is the way to go. I'll do some more research and see what I can build.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Check out YouTube for videos. I was going to write the company to ask for a review sample unit, but then I saw that a number of people had already done video reviews.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I assuming I need some kind of electronic water valve that I can wire to the rachio unit. Does anyone know of or can recommend affordable electronic valves?

Top Bottom