Help me choose a crabapple

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm with you on 1 and 3. Don't know about crabapples but twin and multitrunk elms and hackberry tend to have good radial roots compared to single trunks, if from seed.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am not sure if these go further down. And have not seen the nebari. The grower is 1500km away and doesnt have time to uncover roots.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like 1

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good potential with a drastic pruning of the trunk.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like 1 the best if these are the only views you have to judge by

*Fair warning I'm extremely new :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the photos make it very hard to tell what the bases look like. The selection of a good bonsai candidate rests on the first eight inches of the trunk. The rest of the tree is surplus, not needed and will be removed. If you can, next time, get the camera down at the base and scrape off the first couple of inches of soil on the ground. that will give a much better idea of what you're going to be deciding on.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
one - granted, crabapples grow very fast so any of them can become something to shake a stick at.One is well on its way and looks to have a good structure already.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
the photos make it very hard to tell what the bases look like. The selection of a good bonsai candidate rests on the first eight inches of the trunk. The rest of the tree is surplus, not needed and will be removed. If you can, next time, get the camera down at the base and scrape off the first couple of inches of soil on the ground. that will give a much better idea of what you're going to be deciding on.
I aam completely aware of this, I was given these pics by the owner of the nursery that were sent by a worker from the South of Chile. I could either buy now or wait until he could go back and choose for it to be taken out next year.

I am looking at the first part and am thinking of cutting one trunk off and leaving 3-5cm on the other one. It appears to have taper but the nebari might be another 10cm under soil. So I preferred to take the gamble as he is selling at a "friends" price.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I would say 1. Simply because the split in the trunk will facilitate your ability to cut and grow from the stump while the uncut one provides the photosynthetic resources to facilitate quick grobat before you cut the sacrifice off, you could air layer it. Two trees for the digging of one. Let us know what you choose. In my opinion, without a doubt 1.

If you can take 2, get 6 as well. You have an established flare there, and if you wanted to, you could grow it as a twin trunk. I don't think any of the others allow you to cut low enough and ensure success. Unless you grafted prior to the cut. You could roll the dice on a cut with 4 (nice natural trunk movement), but 1 and 6 already have sacrifice growth to keep while the cut produces new growth.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And you need help deciding because...?
insecurity... getting insight like the one that Dav4 said... to start a progression thread... to start conversation... hahahha I don't know! I was seriously thinking on 3, chopping really low and planting in the ground for a year

Top Bottom