Help me choose a tree! (Pretty Please)

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
I'm as green as they come, first of may as we say in the circus. I currently have a few nursery plants, some collected large shrubs, and some tiny pines that I wired up. I'm wanting to pick up some trees that are further along so I have some stuff to work on vs having plants in pots that I'm mostly just watering and fertilizing.

#1 for your consideration is this deciduous Azalea. Not a whole lot of branches yet, I like the size of the trunk and think it has nice base flare. Has some inverse taper at the top of the trunk. I think this one was around $200

Attachments

• IMG_2857 2.jpg
    IMG_2857 2.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2858.jpg
    IMG_2858.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2859 2.jpg
    IMG_2859 2.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 119
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
#2 Larch, comes with pot. $40 I like this tree and the pot, but not together. I think it looks like a stick in a pot, so would need to get potted in something smaller or be put in a larger container to grow out some more. I don't think this one is as far along as I want. However It is a species that I'm interested in and for $40 it's way further along than any of the larch I have seen at the local nursery labeled as pre-bonsai. So maybe I get this one additionally to have for later.

Attachments

• IMG_2856.JPG
    IMG_2856.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 167
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
#3 Crabapple! I want one of these really, really bad. This one I think he said was $285? I look at this one and don't think the trunk needs to be developed any more and it looks to have some good branches on it. I like the shape, I like the second trunk.
I'm not sure if this one is right for me though. It already has a bit of work done on it and might not be the best starter tree.

Attachments

• IMG_2855.JPG
    IMG_2855.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 165
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
#4 is another tree I'm really interested in. It's a tiny olive. I don't think it would keep me super busy, but I think it wouldn't take too much to develop into an interesting mame.

Attachments

• IMG_2876.jpg
    IMG_2876.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2879.jpg
    IMG_2879.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 117

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Get the crab, and find a couple cheap junipers or boxwoods at Lowe’s. That way you don’t love any single one of them to death. The crab is the best, and is a decent tree. Enjoy that one without working on it, and work on the others for practice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
By the way...none of these are particularly well-developed. The azalea is a disaster, the larch is overpriced, and the olive is pretty small.
The azalea comment made me snort, thanks for that. I just collected 7 mature boxwoods from somebody the other day and a larger azalea, might go back for it's brother in the spring.
I had a reluctance with junipers until I looked at a few with phoenix grafts today, now I'm onboard.
Looks like crab it is, just put my least favorite synth for sale on craigslist.
I guess I just needed somebody with experience to give me permission. I wasn't sure if that was too much money for a beginner to spend on a tree.
Thanks Brian Van Fleet, I enjoy reading your progression threads.

-Ham

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Money is relative, so only you can decide if $200 is too much to risk losing. I’d say the crab is worth $200 because it flowers/fruits and has some age. It also needs some work, but can take some abuse. Take lots of photos and start a progression thread! Good luck.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Money is relative, so only you can decide if $200 is too much to risk losing. I’d say the crab is worth $200 because it flowers/fruits and has some age. It also needs some work, but can take some abuse. Take lots of photos and start a progression thread! Good luck.
Thanks for the encouragement. Probably a better short term investment than buying a bunch of sticks that I can't do anything with.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
AND Crab apple is overpriced but is best of 4 trees. Unless rolling in money see if can get better price from seller:confused:. Larch has more interesting movement than most young sticks by that name but would go for lower price also. If buying Crab beware of leaf mildew.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
AND Crab apple is overpriced but is best of 4 trees. Unless rolling in money see if can get better price from seller:confused:. Larch has more interesting movement than most young sticks by that name but would go for lower price also. If buying Crab beware of leaf mildew.
Turns out they wanted more for the crab. i think ill just go buy a shimpaku from the nursery and go take some lessons from the dude that was selling the olive. He's a long time member of the local club here.
I'll probably be able to pick out my own tree when the right one comes along after I learn some stuff. I was getting serious grampa vibes from him. He was super patient and guided me through his garden explaining all the trees and methods to achieve those forms. Being new I don't know what questions to ask because I don't know what I don't know. He could tell I was out of my element and filled in the gaps while leaving negative space for me to quietly just observe.
I really appreciate everyone's help. Entry into this world is humbling, I feel like a goofy baby tripping around breaking stuff trying to pretend I'm a grownup. I need to be more patient with my children.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I wouldn’t want to learn what that guy is teaching. Find someone who has trees you admire and go ask him/her about those trees...where they cam from, how they got to this level of development, etc.; then you’ll start learning what you need to know.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
None worth a putting a synth for sale.

Don't know anything is.

Sorce

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Turns out they wanted more for the crab. i think ill just go buy a shimpaku from the nursery and go take some lessons from the dude that was selling the olive. He's a long time member of the local club here.
I'll probably be able to pick out my own tree when the right one comes along after I learn some stuff. I was getting serious grampa vibes from him. He was super patient and guided me through his garden explaining all the trees and methods to achieve those forms. Being new I don't know what questions to ask because I don't know what I don't know. He could tell I was out of my element and filled in the gaps while leaving negative space for me to quietly just observe.
I really appreciate everyone's help. Entry into this world is humbling, I feel like a goofy baby tripping around breaking stuff trying to pretend I'm a grownup. I need to be more patient with my children.
Ouch.. yeah don’t waste your time there .. try eBay or another nursery

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
None worth a putting a synth for sale.

Don't know anything is.

Sorce
Don't worry just a cheap sampler/groovebox I picked up in a trade for a guitar pedal i didn't want. I would never part with my monosynth or eurorack. Mainly because I built them myself. I get all my hobby money horse-trading instruments, or building stuff and selling it.

Top Bottom