Help Me Decide Montezuma Cypress Edition

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hat tip to @AaronThomas for a great lead on some super cypress in Old Tucson. Thanks Aaron! I bought one for myself and two others for PBS member friends. Now I need to decide which one to keep! All 3 appear to be in good health so that is not an issue. They range from 3.5" to 4.0" across the base of the trunk. They stand about 4' tall (now 😁).
The pictures are from what I consider to be the front (best side). From left to right tree #1 #2 #3. Give me a hand people because I am going to see these trees at our meetings and I do not want to think I made the wrong choice 😂😂😂
20190613_073433.jpg
20190613_073527.jpg
20190613_073535.jpg

20190613_073542.jpg

Attachments

• 20190613_073535.jpg
    20190613_073535.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 1

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thats so funny! #2 is one of the trees I debated picking up in one of my last posts. I like that bump out root on the left side... think it may look good if you ended up planting lower when you're ready. Also like #1... Can clean it up and looks like it already has some nice taper starting up the trunk. HAHAHAH also like #3
Hope that helps🤪

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What does the back side of #1 look like... is that the one with the opening?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hat tip to @AaronThomas for a great lead on some super cypress in Old Tucson. Thanks Aaron! I bought one for myself and two others for PBS member friends. Now I need to decide which one to keep! All 3 appear to be in good health so that is not an issue. They range from 3.5" to 4.0" across the base of the trunk. They stand about 4' tall (now 😁).
The pictures are from what I consider to be the front (best side). From left to right tree #1 #2 #3. Give me a hand people because I am going to see these trees at our meetings and I do not want to think I made the wrong choice 😂😂😂
View attachment 247132
View attachment 247133
View attachment 247134

View attachment 247137
Tree #1, first on the left.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hands down #1, am I right? Maybe there are other factors not available in the photos, but bigger better root spread and more branches to choose from.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What does the back side of #1 look like... is that the one with the opening?
Yes. It does have an opening! Where do you think these trees came from Aaron?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems #1 is the consensus. Thanks for your help people I appreciate it. Now some back story. I went down to Tucson with my wife for an education conference. Originally I bought only one tree. These trees were roughly 6-8 ft in height so I had to cut them down in order to fit them in the car. I haul the one tree back to the resort and send a picture to Bonsai Bill back home. He says cool I want one and why don't you pick up a third for Rick. So I go back to the nursery the next day and pick up the other two. So my first tree that I bought was what I thought was the best in the first place......which just so happened to be tree #1 😀😀😀

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Why not keep them all and tell your friends they were all sold.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So do you keep these with the bottom of the pot submerged? I can only image the Arizona heat!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Wilson 70% shade screen water 2-3 times a day. May go the submersible route when in bonsai soil. Doing a bit of flying by the seat of our pants here.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So do you keep these with the bottom of the pot submerged? I can only image the Arizona heat!
I have never kept them submerged for very long... maybe a week or so when I was traveling during the summer. They are similar to BC but a bit more drought resistant from what I understand. Been 100 to 106 here the past few days. I give them morning sun and afternoon dappled shade. I have even put out some mortar buckets filled with water to give them some humidity.... not sure it works but makes me feel proactive. Tress doing well.... real killer is August and September’s dry hot winds. Make a tree crispy fast!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have experience with these, but I love all the cypresses. This spring I picked up about 25 bald cypress from a guy liquidating his stock. They are such fun trees, and I love the foliage. My challenges are literally the polar opposite from you guys.😆

Top Bottom