Help me diagnose the brown tips of Sekka Hinoki Cypress

BDSM4trees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Brown tips.jpg

I have some ideas as to what may be causing the problem but without disclosing them I'm seeking input.

This is only happening to some branch tips.

The sun only just started shining here, overnight lows are in the 48-52 degree range and daily highs are mid to high 60's.

Tree is partial shade, no repotting, but recently acquired from a different climate.

Thanks in advance

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reproductive structures are created by the metamorphosis of a vegetative bud. Hence they tend to be at the tip of branches, threads, etc. With angiosperms or flowering plants such as maples and rhododendrons (for examples) the reproductive structure is a flower. In conifers it is a cone. Cones come as male pollen cones or strobili and female cones that develop seed.

Your tree is just ready to get laid!
(in a manner of speaking, of course).

BDSM4trees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Reproductive structures are created by the metamorphosis of a vegetative bud. Hence they tend to be at the tip of branches, threads, etc. With angiosperms or flowering plants such as maples and rhododendrons (for examples) the reproductive structure is a flower. In conifers it is a cone. Cones come as male pollen cones or strobili and female cones that develop seed.

Your tree is just ready to get laid!
(in a manner of speaking, of course).

OOOhhh. Thank you 0soyoung! You can tell by my screen name I'm into that haha.

All jokes aside, thank you for the input.

DiNotDie

Seed
Reaction score
Is it confirmed that they are flowers? I thought Sekka Hinoki Cypress dont flower..

Top Bottom