Help me diagnose the brown tips of Sekka Hinoki Cypress

BDSM4trees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Brown tips.jpg

I have some ideas as to what may be causing the problem but without disclosing them I'm seeking input.

This is only happening to some branch tips.

The sun only just started shining here, overnight lows are in the 48-52 degree range and daily highs are mid to high 60's.

Tree is partial shade, no repotting, but recently acquired from a different climate.

Thanks in advance

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The color looks like live tree, that's the only reason I wouldn't have guess pests.

Surely never seen that before!

Nice!

Fully?

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
View attachment 364605

I have some ideas as to what may be causing the problem but without disclosing them I'm seeking input.

This is only happening to some branch tips.

The sun only just started shining here, overnight lows are in the 48-52 degree range and daily highs are mid to high 60's.

Tree is partial shade, no repotting, but recently acquired from a different climate.

Thanks in advance
Another version of lets reveal the dumb bonsai growers in the forum. If you are really serious about identifying your problem, if indeed you do have a problem, then it is up to you to perform a number of prerequisites: What is the species of tree are we talking about? Has the tree been kept under shelter for the winter? and What is it that you think is wrong?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The brownish or redish tips are pollen cones.
Based on the video below these will slowdown the growth of the surrounding leaves.

YT:
Definitely polen cones. Here is one of mine in full flower from a tree obtained three years ago. Shake the tree and it looks like it's on fire.

DSC_0025.JPG

Top Bottom