Help me ID & keep this Jade alive. Over or under watered, or something else?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bought this Jade a month ago from a local nursery. I've keep it indoors, away from heating vents, with indirect sunlight, and watered it three times. Now, fresh green leaves fall off, and others curl up brown and die. I was under the impression that these plants don't need watering daily or even twice a week. What am I doing wrong? Is this a "portulacaria afra" or "Crassula Ovata" Jade? Because from what I've ascertained, those have different care procedures, and I'd like to know the correct one. And last but not least, How do I change my user name to " Michigan Tree Murderer" ?

Attachments

• PXL_20220401_221617041.jpg
    PXL_20220401_221617041.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20220401_221606818.jpg
    PXL_20220401_221606818.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20220401_220542091.jpg
    PXL_20220401_220542091.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 39

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes... this is a Ficus.. a fig.. (I believe :) )

They need a bit more water and different care than Crassula OR Portulacaria.

Water THROUGH... Until water easily runs. and excess water is STREAMING from your drain holes... do this every time the soil is dry and light (weight-wise)

It's gonna need to recover a bit.. as it seems the perpetual weakness/lag in creating "energy" vs. USING energy (no quotations here ;) ) has also allowed some health issues to bubble to the surface...

I'd recommend watering THOROUGHLY, as I've said.. snd also defoliating any problem areas or leaves "on their way out" to conserve the most energy.

If the leaves are crispy at all... pluck them off like a brontosaurus.. any yellow?.. .. brontosaurus.

Good vibrations your direction friend... my astral fingers are crossed for you and your plant.

🤓

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes... this is a Ficus.. a fig.. (I believe :) )

They need a bit more water and different care than Crassula OR Portulacaria.

Water THROUGH... Until water easily runs. and excess water is STREAMING from your drain holes... do this every time the soil is dry and light (weight-wise)

It's gonna need to recover a bit.. as it seems the perpetual weakness/lag in creating "energy" vs. USING energy (no quotations here ;) ) has also allowed some health issues to bubble to the surface...

I'd recommend watering THOROUGHLY, as I've said.. snd also defoliating any problem areas or leaves "on their way out" to conserve the most energy.

If the leaves are crispy at all... pluck them off like a brontosaurus.. any yellow?.. .. brontosaurus.

Good vibrations your direction friend... my astral fingers are crossed for you and your plant.

🤓
Thanks for your help! I did remove the dying and dead foliage from it. Now off to read about Ficus care and not Jade.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Yes is Ficus for sure, I think microcarpa var "compacta" the same cultivar thats grafted on the ugly "Ginseng" Ficus. Doesnt look very healthy, remove the old yellow leaves they dont do anything

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Unless "tag switching" saves you $!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
I dont want to talk names but Ive seen nurserys that put hidden tags inside the pots or other places because people use to change the plants tags to get better prices xDDD

Top Bottom