Help me ID my new Bonsai Tree

elouise11

Seed
Reaction score
Hello! I am new to owning a bonsai tree and I really want it to live for as long as possible. In order for that to happen, I understand that I will need to practice proper care for this particular tree. Can any of you tell me what type of tree this is? Any links or information for caring for this type of tree are both welcomed and appreciated! Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attachments

• bonsai full.jpg
    bonsai full.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 95
  • bonsai leaves.jpg
    bonsai leaves.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 94
  • bonsai leaves 2.jpg
    bonsai leaves 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 72
  • bonsai soil:trunk:base..jpg
    bonsai soil:trunk:base..jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a juniper and it isn't in the best of health.

You don't give you location which is key to providing you with care. This tree SHOULD NOT BE INSIDE.

elouise11

Seed
Reaction score
It is a juniper and it isn't in the best of health.

You don't give you location which is key to providing you with care. This tree SHOULD NOT BE INSIDE.
Thank you for the speedy response! I am located in the United States in Louisiana. As for its health, how can I improve it?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for the speedy response! I am located in the United States in Louisiana. As for its health, how can I improve it?
Get it outside. Stop misting it. Watch the watering. The soil is too dense and holds onto water, which means the soil remains wet for a very long time. It won't need watering every day, or probably even every week. Stick a chopstick an inch deep into the soil. use it as a sort of dipstick to monitor soil moisture--if the end is dry when you pull it up to look, the plant needs water. If its damp or wet, it doesn't

Longer term, this will need a repot in the spring into decent bonsai soil. It is well capable of living outside year round in La. DON'T bring it inside. Just because a hardy, outdoor plant is in a container, doesn't make it a houseplant.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello! I am new to owning a bonsai tree and I really want it to live for as long as possible. In order for that to happen, I understand that I will need to practice proper care for this particular tree. Can any of you tell me what type of tree this is? Any links or information for caring for this type of tree are both welcomed and appreciated! Thanks for any help you can provide!

Why blue aquarium gravel and not pink or purple?

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Like @rockm said....
Seems like a procumbens nana (Japanese garden juniper).

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
juniper procumbens, common, drought tolerant, doesn't like wet roots or wet soil, slow growth sometimes, hardy so keep outdoors, keep in as much sun as possible without moving the tree. goodluck.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
juniper procumbens, common, drought tolerant, doesn't like wet roots or wet soil, slow growth sometimes, hardy so keep outdoors, keep in as much sun as possible without moving the tree. goodluck.
Why without moving the tree? Just curious (I tend to move mine around from sunny spot to sunny spot)….

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why without moving the tree? Just curious (I tend to move mine around from sunny spot to sunny spot)…
You need to be consistent. Plants and people don't like to be jerked around.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I move them around all the time as in a LOT. Also I rotate them every few days so that sun hits all parts equally (being in Michigan the rays are more from the south early and late in the season and since my backyard is on the north side of the house. Never realized that as being a negative. Learn something new everyday I guess. Also, there is a difference between jerking them around and gently moving them.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You need to be consistent. Plants and people don't like to be jerked around.
Interesting thought, and I believe we had a discussion on this forum once about rotating your trees every so often to expose the back to the Sun.
I don't recall the name of that thread or what the general consensus was, but I spin most of my trees every few days.

Move a tree VS Rotate a tree, different? Maybe.....it depends.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rotating them is generally a good idea but moving them frequently from one area to another is not, gently or otherwise IMO

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rotating them is generally a good idea but moving them frequently from one area to another is not, gently or otherwise IMO
Yup.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm the biggest "don't confuse them with movement" advocate there is....

But short the handling, which can be as gentle as a spinning, or gentler...

There is no real downside to moving them into more sun frequently.

Except maybe now toward the end of the year when you need them to see the light changing.

But @Mayank if you observe no harm, and good health, I'd keep doing it.

Of course, there is the time where it won't be practical anymore if you gather a huge collection.... But....I don't know if you have all your trees on the flatcars of g scale trains and just ride them across the yard or are doing this by hand...

Sorce

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Of course, there is the time where it won't be practical anymore if you gather a huge collection.... But....I don't know if you have all your trees on the flatcars of g scale trains and just ride them across the yard or are doing this by hand...

Sorce
No I don't have them on flatcars of a train, LOL. I've been moving them by hand and only when I'm around not all day long. Also not moving all of them, only the ones I like more hahaha. But now I guess I won't do that if that is a bad thing. I'd like to know the science behind that. I am thinking possibly it hurts the delicate white roots at the periphery? Next season I'll try to not worry about a couple more hours of sun if they're getting a full 6 plus anyways. Better safe than sorry I suppose. @vancehanna, my teacher, is coming over tonight to do a session (he's back from Cali for a week or so) and I'll be sure to ask him about that. He had never mentioned anything about moving or not moving them so I never thought about it.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Moving conifers into more sun daily late season, and for like 6-7 years. Never a problem, as long as you have wired in the tree properly. Hell, grab material by the trunk for crying out loud.

It's a tree, not your granny.....
😁

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No I don't have them on flatcars of a train, LOL. I've been moving them by hand and only when I'm around not all day long. Also not moving all of them, only the ones I like more hahaha. But now I guess I won't do that if that is a bad thing. I'd like to know the science behind that. I am thinking possibly it hurts the delicate white roots at the periphery? Next season I'll try to not worry about a couple more hours of sun if they're getting a full 6 plus anyways. Better safe than sorry I suppose. @vancehanna, my teacher, is coming over tonight to do a session (he's back from Cali for a week or so) and I'll be sure to ask him about that. He had never mentioned anything about moving or not moving them so I never thought about it.

With the sun so low in the sky, maybe 5 1/2 hours in my garden. A little short for JBP.

This is around the same time as Nationals, with tree's coming from 3,000+ miles away on a truck. I think moving your tree 10-15 feet should be ok!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Brother Lance.

@Mayank it's not a problem til it is.

Seems like you have a great handle on the things that need more attention in your garden.

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Brother Lance.

@Mayank it's not a problem til it is.

Seems like you have a great handle on the things that need more attention in your garden.

Sorce

Your welcome?

@Mayank has nice trees, displays in shows and works with someone with more experience than himself.......seems to have a good routine. Keep on truckin' purely Michigan!

elouise11

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and tips. I have moved the tree outside in the sun and ceased watering for now as it seemed to have had enough. I will post new pictures as the tree changes! I appreciate the wise words and responses! Any more advice is welcome!

Top Bottom