Help me identify these please :)

Dat5un

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
DSC_0523_zps352dd405.jpg
DSC_0521_zps195d3761.jpg

So I found these guys in the woods near my apartment. Thought they had a lot of potential for a small forest and so I made it happen. What do you guys think and what do you think they are?

THANKS for any help you can give!! Cheers! Also any tips on the care of these particular trees would be greatly appreciated!

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dat5un,

They appear to be Eastern Red Cedar, Juniperus virginiana. They like full sun this time of year, but if you just dug them up and potted them today, they might need a little shade for a week or two. Do not keep them inside. They do not want to stay wet all the time, but they should be checked daily for watering. Eventually, you will want to fertilize them, they are not picky about fertilizer. Good luck with them, they are hard to kill, except to dig them too late in the year, which you may have done.

That is a pretty good forest arrangement you put together.

Regards,
Martin

Dat5un

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks!

Thanks a ton for the information. I really hope that I didn't dig them up too late. They were in a VERY shaded area from tree cover where I found them. I didn't see what looked like any new growth on them from this year yet. So let them dry out somewhat between waterings, give them some shade for now (maybe half of the day), and begin to feed them in about a month? That sound right?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's been so cool this spring, that you're probably fine if you got some roots with each tree.

I don't want to muddy the waters from what's been suggested, but will add this:

1. Keep it in the shade outside for a couple weeks, but when you move it to sun, do so gradually over a couple more weeks, and to a location without wind if possible.

2. I would wait longer to feed...could wait until fall.

3. Try to not disturb the roots by moving it much. When I repot, I try to leave them in one spot for a couple months to ensure they're getting established. As tall as they are, keeping them still may be a challenge. Hopefully they're wired in to the pot solidly.

4. Mist the foliage a few times a day.

5. Don't prune or wire until at least this winter.

good luck!

Dat5un

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Is it ok that I cut the tap root on them? I left as many of the fine roots as possible!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Is it ok that I cut the tap root on them? I left as many of the fine roots as possible!

It has to go sooner or later to get in a shallow pot. The balancing act is retaining enough feeder roots to support the foliage. Time will tell...

Top Bottom