8?
This is one plan you might follow...
View attachment 314789
View attachment 314782
View attachment 314790
View attachment 314778
[cut away central core]
Hi Forsoothe
I'm not sure what constitutes the central core in your Lawsonii 5.jpg.
Lawsonii 5.JPG

Here are a couple more pics of the base of the trunk.

IMG_20200710_095626264~2.jpg

IMG_20200710_095647112~2.jpg

What do you suggest I cut away, without damaging the trunks?
Brian

martibab

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Click on your Icon in the upper right corner and fill in your location so people can better advise you on climate matters.
Bonsai is any size. Don't worry about growth. Your job is to learn how to refine the appearance to make it bonsai-like. In time you will learn to bonsai any size you happen to have. If you want to make something bigger, that's a horse of a different color.
Hi Forsoothe! I'm not sure if your saw my last post, but I have a couple of naive questions.
Would you recommend cutting the branches down in one go, or progressively and successively?
Also, when you suggest cutting out the core, do you mean nibbling away the wood between the branches, to leave only the branches?
Brian

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cut all the branches down to finished height now. That "core" is tiny. It can be trimmed by gripping the sheath of needles with your fingertips and the tip with the other fingertips and pulling straight (off). Or, it can be trimmed with a small scissors as I indicated before.
(The yellow twig is dead. I used it as my example only because it was a clear view of one twig.)
Lawsonii 6.JPG
The twig being tip pruned is greatly out of scale. I can't do the artwork at the real level because it would be too small to see.
Lawsonii 33.JPG

Top Bottom