Help me identify what type of bonsai's these are

joey

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello I am fairly new to the bonsai hobby and wanted to see if I could get help identifying thes trees.
If anyone could be so kind as to help me with this I would greatly appreciate the help
Thank you for you time.

Attachments

• IMG_20180130_173343_129.jpg
    IMG_20180130_173343_129.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20180130_171817.jpg
    20180130_171817.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 73
  • 20180130_171648.jpg
    20180130_171648.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 73

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello I am fairly new to the bonsai hobby and wanted to see if I could get help identifying thes trees.
If anyone could be so kind as to help me with this I would greatly appreciate the help
Thank you for you time.

They weren't labeled? The middle one looks like an arbor vitae or cedar of some sort. The first one looks like rosemary, not certain.

In the future you may want to pick a cultivar and research its care and habits a little, before you go purchase.
It you bought at a nursery they should have told you (had you asked?)
I have found boxwood to be a fun and forgiving plant to work with.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

(1) needle juniper...
(2) cedar of some sorts...
(3) variegated euonymous.

Did you buy them at a nursery? Where (in general) do you live?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
First is some sort of juniper, maybe foemina? Second is some sort of Thuja orientalis. Third is Euonymus japonicus of some sort. Technically none of them are bonsai as pictured.

joey

Seedling
Reaction score
They weren't labeled? The middle one looks like an arbor vitae or cedar of some sort. The first one looks like rosemary, not certain.

In the future you may want to pick a cultivar and research its care and habits a little, before you go purchase.
It you bought at a nursery they should have told you (had you asked?)
I have found boxwood to be a fun and forgiving plant to work with.
They had the first one marked as a common Juniper but I researched it on I don't think it is that and the second one was marked as a Sabina juniper again I don't think it is correct. I don't have a lot of bonsai nurseries near me so a lot I buy online and from a nursery that sells some bonsai's

joey

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

(1) needle juniper...
(2) cedar of some sorts...
(3) variegated euonymous.

Did you buy them at a nursery? Where (in general) do you live?
Hello i did get the first one and last one from a nursery the first one was marked as a common Juniper the second one I bought online and the seller had it as a Sabina juniper and I live in Berkeley area

joey

Seedling
Reaction score
First is some sort of juniper, maybe foemina? Second is some sort of Thuja orientalis. Third is Euonymus japonicus of some sort. Technically none of them are bonsai as pictured.
Hello thank you what do you mean there not bonsai technically I ask so I can better understand thanks

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello i did get the first one and last one from a nursery the first one was marked as a common Juniper the second one I bought online and the seller had it as a Sabina juniper and I live in Berkeley area

I was about to change my description of the first one to juniperus communis - common juniper - but you beat me to it. Really prickly!

I am not familiar with sabina juniper, though it looks similar to some bushes we have around here in landscape.

The euonymous is quite common... though it may not be the best candidate for bonsai given the large leaves that don't reduce well. But it is an extremely hardy plant that you can plant almost anywhere, and you can take cuttings from it, stick them in the ground, and as long as you keep the soil moist they'll root!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
what do you mean there not bonsai technically

bonsai is an art form... or a "style" of growing trees and bushes so they resemble old trees in nature.

If you just have a bush or tree from a nursery, it is just a bush or a tree. Sometimes if it is a bush or a tree from a bonsai nursery that has been grown specifically to be styled as bonsai in the future, people might use the term "pre-bonsai" - because it has already had a little work done to it.

Sort of like how you wouldn't call a blank canvas a painting... until someone paints on it :)

joey

Seedling
Reaction score
bonsai is an art form... or a "style" of growing trees and bushes so they resemble old trees in nature.

If you just have a bush or tree from a nursery, it is just a bush or a tree. Sometimes if it is a bush or a tree from a bonsai nursery that has been grown specifically to be styled as bonsai in the future, people might use the term "pre-bonsai" - because it has already had a little work done to it.

Sort of like how you wouldn't call a blank canvas a painting... until someone paints on it :)
So I have to train and style them to become a bonsai? I understand it doesn't happen over night that it takes years for it to be a binsai

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@joey
The first looks like a juniper of some sort, looks to me like an eastern red cedar (Juniperus Virginiana)

Second looks like a Chamaecyparis of some sort, but not ruling out a Thuja

The third one is definitely a Variegated Boxwood, not Euonymus. Maybe "Golden Dream"

Last edited:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ya. What Bnut said. And Yes, my bad thinking the last one was euonymus. I got my glasses off.:cool:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I have to train and style them to become a bonsai? I understand it doesn't happen over night that it takes years for it to be a binsai

Yes you have to style it, but it doesn't necessarily take years...

Christmas tree discount pile Alberta spruce (before):

a_spruce1.jpg

One hour later:

a_spruce2.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I took a better photo of the wiring on this tree what do u think

I always give this advice to people first starting out. Find a picture of a bonsai masterpiece, or better yet, an inspirational tree in nature, and print out the picture. Then try to wire and style your tree to look like the photo.

The question I have for you is: does your tree look like a tree in nature? Or does it look like someone trying to make what they think a bonsai should look like?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I took a better photo of the wiring on this tree what do u think

Dont take better photos of the wiring!
Lol!

Welcome to Crazy!

Feel free to post pics here BEfORE you buy something!
There is usually someone to reply quick to help.

There is good nursery hunting info here but it is hard to search.

The free Bonsai Mirai streams on Nursery Stock are a helpful starting point.

Sorce

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I live in Berkeley area

As in California? Lucky you! Have you been to Lake Merrit in Oakland? They are having a fundraiser Feb. 17 and 18!

http://www.gsbf-lakemerritt.org/

“The Auction will be followed on Sunday, February 18, with one of the largest bonsai plant and material sales in the State. The Sale starts at 10:00 AM and the line usually starts forming at 9:00. Meanwhile the Vendors are open for business from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM with a great selection of bonsai products and some great bargains.”

Top Bottom