Help me obi one Klosi, you're my only hope

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
OK. Someone will probably role his eyes, because I will post such a stupid question. But I've serched some stuff and can't find right guidence. When to repot a juniper?
Considering physiology of tree (juniper in my case). What signs should I watch and say, yes I can se this and that, now is the right time to repot?
I posted the title as is, because in my neighbourhood there are some pots, to make the place more pleasing to eye and more friendly. So in one of these massive concrete pots there is a juniper. It is half dead (if not completly), it does not look good and I'm affraid it will not live long, considering the care it was give for past few years (looks like none).
So I want to take it (if this is stealing be it, as Obi-one also had to steal princess Lea from Vader, I also want to steal this juni from evil caregiver, and yes I'm aware my intentions are not the best as well since if everything will work out the juniper will be confied in a pot).

My question is, when can one repot junipers? Collect would be better word maybe...

Here's also a picutre of some folieage I took when passing by. On picture this is the better growing half, the other one has almost no foliage whatsoever.

Photo 7. 05. 15 14.02.06.jpg

Thanks for any help and tips!

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
People on here are gonna tear you a new one For taking it lol.. but I think its safe to repot right when you see buds swelling/emerging. I feel like it can be done any time tho with the right aftercare. I'm scared to reopot junipers any other time than early spring honestly. Haha good luck with it. If you just slip pot it, you'll have a better vhance of survival.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What about that tree says to you it will be a good enough Bonsai that it is worth STEALING to get it?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crackheads. ✅
Kleptos. ✅
Star Wars fans. ✅

Lol.

I'm going to rob a bank. I'll just tell the judge F Vader! Lol

Hey, it's your Karma. But, what if you ask them an about it and they say,

"oh sure, you're into bonsai?, my grandfather just passed and I can't care for his collection of 100+ prize winning trees, you are so kind to ask, do you want them?"

Or, "good thing you asked, its rooted over a cluster bomb"

Just saying.

Sorce

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes I know it's not right and fair of me to take what's not mine .... But..... The thing is I'm affraid janitor will just grab it one day and throw it away because it looks so bad.
I'm also planing on asking if I can take it. I do have these two options.
One I risk asking janitor if I can have it. If he says no then I can't take it because he will know I did it.
Second option is I take it and put in the pot sothing else I would buy at local nursery.
Whell the third option is I leave it to die. Maybe janitor will fix it (probability is 1 to 459388).

But my main question is still. When is right time to repot junipers? I have a few at my place that I will have to repot sooner or later (and no they are not stolen :p).

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
NEVER...for stolen Junis. It's never a good time. The reason people fell strongly about this is because if people start stealing trees, this given bonsai artists a bad name. Yes, it's hard to see someone abusing something like this but it is their property and until we have a movement toward vegetative rights (similar to animal rights) that makes neglect illegal, there is NEVER a good time to steal a tree.

It would help if you would place in your profile where in Central Europe you're from...makes a difference in answering your question.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hope that after you steal it, and nurse it back to health, and put it in a bonsai pot, that someone comes along and steals it from you. Just deserts for the thief. Is that really how you want to think of yourself, a thief? so sad.

Just ask. And live by the answer given. If you don't, then may your thumb turn black.

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The thing is I'm affraid janitor will just grab it one day and throw it away because it looks so bad.
One I risk asking janitor if I can have it. If he says no then I can't take it because he will know I did it.

If he was going to throw it away, then why would he not give it to you? And if he does throw it away, the world will continue to turn.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes I know it's not right and fair of me to take what's not mine .... But..... The thing is I'm affraid janitor will just grab it one day and throw it away because it looks so bad.
I'm also planing on asking if I can take it. I do have these two options.
Second option is I take it and put in the pot sothing else I would buy at local nursery.
Whell the third option is I leave it to die. Maybe janitor will fix it (probability is 1 to 459388).

But my main question is still. When is right time to repot junipers? I have a few at my place that I will have to repot sooner or later (and no they are not stolen :p).
Or just buy the tree you were going to replace this Ken with and KEEP THE ONE YOU BOUGHT!? Again, there is nothing showing in the tree you pictured that says to me "oooohh I just have to turn that into a Bonsai"! It looks like a tiny, skinny, ugly little juniper that is not as good as 90% of what you could find at a big box store. I just see no reason to even be interested in it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"The thing is I'm affraid janitor will just grab it one day and throw it away because it looks so bad."

For GODS SAKE, Show some balls and ask the janitor either if you can have it, or who to ask if he can't give it.

also, consider if stealing a sick juniper and not knowing how to repot it, possibly killing it, is worse than just leaving it be.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Welcome judges of life trough two posted opinions. Stealing is a too strong of a word here (and yes I'm aware I used it too).
I don't know how to describe this... But different cultures call for different criteria. Stealing in ones eyes may be nothing special in someone elses. And it's hard to descirbe but I don't feel bad doing such a thing, if I leave the pot with better looking plants as I originaly intended to. And you can judge me based on my questions, and from now on I will probably get ignored from most of the members here on bnut, and I can't blame you.
And steling is not an absolute term. It is not the same to steal a half dead juniper nobody will miss and stealing billions from charity fund. I'm pretty sure many others have stole yamadori, and that has a much greater impact then what I'm considering to do. If you would see the situation as I see it, and see how this community treats this big pots (juniper probably drank more beer and smoked more cigarets then an avarage adult male) maybe you would not be so quick to throw stones...
I usually don't buy nursery stock becuase I (mostly) can't afford it. That's it. And I'm aware that if janitor gives me a high price I will not be able to meet it and wont be able to collect the juniper. It's not a world class material, it may not even be a good material, but it is dear to me for a few different reasons. I will ask the janitor for permision when I see him.

I'm not a good bonsaist and I know I will have to ask a ton of questions on this forum, but by creating this thread I just minimized my chances of getting a good advice (and one day giving it, being an active part of this forum community) from experienced members, which in a short word makes me sad.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're probably too young to remember the
'It became necessary to destroy the town to save it" line supposedly uttered by a U.S. Army major in Vietnam during the war there. Same thing here.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I don't know how to describe this... But different cultures call for different criteria"

Bullshit. If you're using such idiotic rationalization to get around what you know is wrong, IT'S PROBABLY WRONG. Any culture understands that. Stealing is pretty much as absolute term. This doesn't belong to you, your not asking anyone for it or paying for it, but helping yourself to it. That's stealing.

No, not many people steal yamadori.

Last edited:

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Haha :D Great analziaton! :D You did made my day. And you know stealing is not a thing with just one value. There are bigger steals and smaller.

And the fact you quoting an army general from Vietnam war and moralizing me is just priceless! :D :D

Maybe one day you will find an approriate mirror as I may as well... Have a nice day, regards from young, inexperienced, idiotic, man witout balls, stupid man and a thief!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, thanks and good luck with that crappy juniper you don't know how to care for, but just HAVE to have for your own.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Janitor would say yes for a sixer.

He's a janitor!

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b