Help me please, species identification

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Hi,
A few days ago I got the nursery material that you see in photos below.
They told me that is a golden juniper, I have already a golden juniper bonsai and this dosent look G. juniper at all. I google it and I think that is a taxus cuspidata, dwarf golden japanese yev however, I am just a rookie learning as much as possible, long jurney haed, could you please confirm, help me identify my new nursery material?
Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 20220205_083648.jpg
    20220205_083648.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220205_083639.jpg
    20220205_083639.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 40

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure, there are a few. It might be Golden Pfitzer, don't think it is Saybrook gold, but I am not a juniper guy.

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Tomorrow I Try to take better picture, close up, thanks.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not google golden junipers? You can figure this out if the nursery doesn't know, and they probably do.

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
I already reserch golden juniper and I also have a golden juniper bonsai, foliage is completely different than my new nursery material. Comparing photos in google it looks exactly as a taxus cuspidata, japanise yev, but again, I am just a begginer, that is why I ask you guys with tons of experience. I am learning a lot thanks to this forum, I alweys get in depth help and very quick too, I love it,
Really apreaciate!!!

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Except for the color, the foliage and growth habit look exactly like my needle juniper, Juniperus rigida. If it was a true yew Taxus, the needles would be arranged in a flat plane on the sides of a twig like a feather.

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Thanks so much Michael!
It is a super healty tree, just a rookie guess, may the bright yellow cause Thailand sun, always in full sun, at list now in winter, it loves it.
If I dont mind, any chance to see a photo of your juniper rigida?
Thanks so much

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its Juniperus conferta, now considered J. rigida var. Conferta
I was only familiar with Blue Pacific and did not know there was a gold variety as well. I have been away from the nursery business too long.
Looks as though it is the cultivar "All Gold"

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am very neglectful about photographing my trees. And right now they are in winter quarters. I'll try to post a photo soon. And I think penumbra is right, the yellow foliage is genetic.

Top Bottom