Help me save this Mable

King James 111

Seedling
Reaction score
I was given this Mable in the middle of our summer about a mouth ago in hot weather guy was moving house ect he planted it my garden for dig a hold ect as Iam disable
It was nice and green and has turn brown in about week with the heatwave we been getting in Scotland I been watering it two or three time a day not on the leaves will it come back in the spring it a 40Yrs old I been told the guy try keep as much as the rootball as he could any advice welcome
image.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Can you place a shade cloth tent over it? The only thing that will save it is to give it complete shade. At this point the leaves are dead and will fall off, but if you keep it shaded it may be strong enough to bud a new set of leaves before Fall.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Japanese maples, esp. dissectum require quite a shady position. And yours was transplanted some month ago.

My only red dissectum maple is usually fine having morning sun and deep afternoon shade. This summer is different, hot, dry and cruel. Many leaves are partially crispy, but it's pushing new buds, so hopefully if it cools down a bit everything will be fine.

How does yours look like, any new buds moving? And yes, shade and water.

King James 111

Seedling
Reaction score
I. Don't see any new. buds. The leaves where going back to there normal ( non crisply ) with the rain. I will try the shade idea thx Iam. Facing east so am getting the full morning sun. midday too

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the cambium still green if you scratch away the bark on the branches and trunk? If so, there's always hope.

King James 111

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes , cambium is still green some of the branches are still green you can see if from outside. , let hope next yr ( Spring ) it was planted at wrong time in the heatwave we been getting not bad as England so

GailC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I'd also give it a really deep watering. Put a hose on trickle and let it run for a hour or two. Do this at least weekly.
The ground needs to be wet down deep, not just on the surface.

JoshuaRN

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m really late to this post but my family business specializes in tree transplant ... that being said Japanese maples are one of the toughest trees out there ... check my posts and you’ll see 4 70yr old maples dug out of a 4ft sidewalk gap on the hottest day of the year . So to the important part.. moving maples in the summer is a bad idea if your not experienced , that said it’s done so here’s the important part ... leave it alone . Don’t try to water it to life , don’t move it again to more shade , don’t by any means fertilize it . The only intervention that I’d reccomend is a mulch ring without covering the trunk , for future just water heavy when you plant it and watch the leaves . If they curl on the ends (new growth is going to die anyway , ignore this) water it. As a nurse and a landscaper it gives me a interesting perspective on how a lot of people try to fix a struggling plant by loving it to death.
The best case outcome which may have already happened (late reply) is that you will get some nice backbudding after the trauma that is more in line with the roots that remain healthy, which I find can sometimes reveal a far more beautiful tree.

Top Bottom