Help me with my air layer

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
Hey so I started my first air layer pretty late around the beginning of June and im checking it on now (11th September).
I cant see any roots only some callus at the top of the cut and one small callus above the cut line.
Am I right in thinking the air layer wont be successful this year?
Should I leave the sphagnum moss on during the winter or take it all off and wait to make a new cut next year in spring to start the process again.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-09-11 at 5.02.00 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-09-11 at 5.02.00 PM.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 92
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-09-11 at 5.01.58 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-09-11 at 5.01.58 PM (1).jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 97

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have read that air layers are relatively winter-hardy. Looks like roots are ready to pop. Hopefully more experienced members will chime in, but I bet you're ok to maintain that layer through the winter and check again in the spring......

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would say to leave it on for now. Even if you do remove the moss you are still going to have a open wound going in to the start of winter.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
what species is this? I hope the layer works for you, looks like a cool piece of material!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wrap it up well and leave it for winter. Try to protect from extreme cold but in any regard, you have nothing to lose.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
what species is this? I hope the layer works for you, looks like a cool piece of material!
Early harvest apple I believe, you can see a half munched apple in the back, not sure what got to it 🤨

Wrap it up well and leave it for winter. Try to protect from extreme cold but in any regard, you have nothing to lose.
Am thinking of wrapping it in a fleece bag when the nights get colder as I cant really move it into the green house 🤔

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I had a similar situation with a maple. I took a grafting knife dipped in clonex and made a few vertical slices where the roots will grow. Three weeks later I had a container full of roots. You may still have time this season depending on your climate. Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
I had a similar situation with a maple. I took a grafting knife dipped in clonex and made a few vertical slices where the roots will grow. Three weeks later I had a container full of roots. You may still have time this season depending on your climate. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
Removed the fleece winter protection today and checked on the callus what formed.

About 4cm of new root growth occurred over winter on one of the smaller nodule callus bits. Didn't want to risk checking the larger callus parts.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
How cold was your winter this year in general and what would be the coldest night temp?

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thank you, I am wondering what the lowest you can go with an air layer, do you know if they can take a hard freeze?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
Thank you, I am wondering what the lowest you can go with an air layer, do you know if they can take a hard freeze?
I imagine mine would of survived freezing since it was only a callus build up.
This is my first air layer though so I cant speak from experience.

I have seen a video on Peter Chan's youtube where he accidentally finds an old air layer what had been left by mistake on one of his nursery trees for a few years. so maybe they could survive dropping down to low temps 0-2 or lower. This was in the UK as well.

You should experiment and try it on a random branch, wouldn't have to be good material just try it it to freeze next winter

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Yes I am going to try a number of trees, leaving a couple in varying stages would be interesting.
Thanks glad you got roots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
How are worms getting into my air layer ??

Attachments

• IMG_20200914_141446.jpg
    IMG_20200914_141446.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20200914_141519.jpg
    IMG_20200914_141519.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20200914_141504.jpg
    IMG_20200914_141504.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom