Help me with my Juniper

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ely, Cambridge, UK, Zone 8 (whatever that means)
Juniperus Squamata, Blue Star.
I had three of them in a garden bed, planted by the previous owner of the house. They did very poorly in the heavy clay soil, so I "rescued" them. They had gone very leggy, so I thought bunjin-style cascade. This one in paerticular I tried inarch grafting of the top branch and it looked like it had taken, but died back this year.

Any advice? I'm thinking it's either try and graft back onto it, leave it as just growing at the very tip and jin the top, or just give up. Don't worry about the Japanese Anemone, I'll deal with those at the next repotting.

IMG_1193.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't worry

I would worry about that.

This is an instance be here it very well may outcompete the Juniper.

Plus....I hate weeds, sea names or otherwise!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Uh sorry to say this but I am not sure this can be saved.
The cascading branch looks like its broken and is either dying or dead and the foliage on the end just hasnt turned brown yet.
Junipers can stay green for a long time even when dead.
We cant see the base because of the weeds.

Weeds are always a problem and should be pulled regularly.
They steal nutrients and water from the tree.
Also the bigger they get, the bigger the root system and the harder they are to pull out without disturbing the roots of the tree.

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ely, Cambridge, UK, Zone 8 (whatever that means)
I thought I might be being optimistic. There were three in the ground, the other two were transplanted into a different bed and both died. The cascading branch is not broken, that's a branch stub

Those Japanese Anemome, if you have them are an excellent plant, very hardy, lovely flowers, but need to be kept in check. I actually pulled a lot out when I first potted this, but clearly had missed a few roots, they'll grow back from not much and I need to thin them out in the flower bed every year .

Top Bottom