Help me with this tree.

Walldepartment

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bought this tree a few years back and planted it in the ground without thinking about it too much. I can't remember what the guy at the nursery called it, a grey mound juniper or something like that.
-1.JPG
0.JPG
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

It is a little over 2.75 inches in diameter at the base. I generally like trees that are about 2 to 3 feet tall, but I'm willing to go as low as 18 inches tall. I also prefer trees on the thicker side, so I would want about 3 inches of diameter for an 18 inch tall tree, more for taller trees.

I'm thinking about digging it up in the spring so I can look at the roots and cut downward growing and undesirable roots, like that curled one in the picture. If I plant it back in the ground, I want to put it on something flat, as there is nothing underneath it right now.

I'm wondering if I should think about branches. I don't know if any of the current branches are suitable for bonsai. In any case, there is no foliage near the trunk. I will need some foliage near the trunk, either to start new branches for a finished bonsai, or at least for shortening the branches already on the tree. What do you guys think I should do?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pic #3 shows the best movement and taper to me.

Probably best to chase back the foliage while it's in the ground and growing strongly, I'd cut back fairly hard this fall or early spring before bud break.

If you fill in your profile info including location your're more likely to get accurate advise.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As it is in your yard you also have the chance of preparing the roots for lifting: Cut a circle around the trunk maybe a spade deep the year before, and water near the trunk during hot dry spells the year after. The next spring you should have loads of fine roots near the trunk, making transplant easier on the tree

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd pull it now, bushy as is, and let it start getting established in a Basket. That way your entire, "getting it potted" ordeal is done. Since after establishing in a basket, a subsequent move to a bonsai pot is almost a garaunteed success.

This will get it up in your face for a year or 2 while you decide what to do with it and it recovers.

Then you can chase it back, layer, or graft.

It's better you let the tree be in charge of it's fate, you have to be willing to let it be what it wants to be.

Sorce

Top Bottom