Robszgz

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello!

My ex gave me this bonsai, but she only told me to water it every 3-5 days.

I've been doing some research and I think it's a boxwood species, but now I'm desperately trying to save it :(

I tried putting some crushed eggshells on the soil but it doesn't look any better.

Could someone please help me somehow? It used to be so green and full of life!

Attachments

• IMG_20200225_203504.jpg
    IMG_20200225_203504.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20200225_203510.jpg
    IMG_20200225_203510.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20200125_173832.jpg
    IMG_20200125_173832.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 96

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Perhaps she found out how many new bonsai die and just gave it to torment him....

Soak the roots to get them properly wet then water often enough to keep it between nearly dry and nearly wet. Many dehydrated trees sprout after they get some water.
Will do far better outside in sun and wind. Most bonsai kept inside slowly die.

You will get far better advice for your climate if you add a location into your profile so we more easily see if you are in tropical or temperate climate zone.

Robszgz

Seedling
Reaction score
Perhaps she found out how many new bonsai die and just gave it to torment him....

Soak the roots to get them properly wet then water often enough to keep it between nearly dry and nearly wet. Many dehydrated trees sprout after they get some water.
Will do far better outside in sun and wind. Most bonsai kept inside slowly die.

You will get far better advice for your climate if you add a location into your profile so we more easily see if you are in tropical or temperate climate zone.

Thank you!! So do I take it off of the soil to soak the roots?

Oh, I see! I'll leave it outside then :)

I'm in Mexico City, the weather is similar to London, quite wet, it rains often, sometimes it's too sunny, sometimes it's too cloudy.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you!! So do I take it off of the soil to soak the roots?

Oh, I see! I'll leave it outside then :)

I'm in Mexico City, the weather is similar to London, quite wet, it rains often, sometimes it's too sunny, sometimes it's too cloudy.
Unless it gets way below freezing in Mexico City, that boxwood needs to be outside all of the time. You'll only stress and possibly kill it by keeping it inside. Taking it in and out doesn't help, either. Outside. All of the time. That's your only hope, beside watering when needed (and feeding, but it's got to recover first).

Robszgz

Seedling
Reaction score
Unless it gets way below freezing in Mexico City, that boxwood needs to be outside all of the time. You'll only stress and possibly kill it by keeping it inside. Taking it in and out doesn't help, either. Outside. All of the time. That's your only hope, beside watering when needed (and feeding, but it's got to recover first).

Oh thank you!! This is really helpful ❤️

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Don't take it out of the pot. When roots are really dry you should put the whole pot into a tub of water and leave it to soak for up to a couple of hours. It can take a long time for some dry soils to get properly wet so needs to be submerged in water for long enough. After soaking take it out and let the water drain out of the holes in the pot. Try to find a place where the tree will get sun at least in the morning (when the sun shines). In your area maybe sun all day will be Ok but you will need to water more often when the tree has more sun.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Many dehydrated trees sprout after they get some water.
Yeah, my texas ebony came back four months later!!! There was no question in my mind it was dead but it was part of a three tree planting and I was just watering for the other two which came back in a few weeks and I was looking for a similar sized one to replace the middle one but then in June it sprouted (they lost all their leaves due to missing a weekly winter watering (forgot him!) in late Jan!)!

Top Bottom