Help, My Bonsai seems to be dying

Curins

Seed
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that it's a bird plum, but not 100% sure. It was a birthday gift last August that didn't come with a tag. It's been fine for a while, but recently it's been drying out with these little white spots on the leaves.

Located in south Florida.
It's been in front of a south facing tinted window for about a month and a half with a grow light above it running 12 on 12 off, 8 am to 8pm. I've been watering (3/4 shotglass) and misting with filtered water and dyan-grow 7-5-9 (1.4 teaspoon to 1 us gal) daily. When the leaves started drying, I started to give it a little bit more water every day. It appears to be potted in a fine pebble substrate. It's now been moved farther from the window, but still getting some sunlight in the same room. Temps in the room 76-83F I'm thinking of moving it from all natural sunlight, and keeping it under the grow light.

Before this it was in NC for the winter, away from any natural sunlight, with the same grow light, fed the same, and growing like a weed. Temps in this spot 60-75f warmer in fall.

Any help or advice saving this little guy would be greatly appreciated! If there are more details you need please let me know.

Thanks,

Curnis

Attachments

• IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 63

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Throw it outside and water it 100fold.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That looks like a Fukien Tea, a suffering one. When I water, I hold mine over the sink and add water until it runs out of the bottom of the pot. They don't like to be dry. Can you put up more of a wide shot?

Curins

Seed
Reaction score
Here are a few more pics. A bunch of the leaves fell off when I moved it away from the window.

For ID some leaves have a shield shape, other a more paw print shape. It used to have nice tiny white star shaped flowers from time to time.

Attachments

• IMG_1838.JPG
    IMG_1838.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1840.JPG
    IMG_1840.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 41

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Leaf shape, those little white hairs on the leaves, the tiny star shaped flowers all point to Fukien tea. And it looks like it has given up. I second what @sorce said: water it well and get it outside in the sun if you can.

Edit: If you've been skunked by a Fukien Tea, don't despair. You have plenty of good company, and there are easier bonsai to care for.

Curins

Seed
Reaction score
I'll water the snot out of it and hope for the best! Very strange, it's been fine and growing like a weed for the last six months. This all started about a month and a half after moveing it down to south florida. The AC runs more here, maybe the lower humidity?

Thanks,

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'll water the snot out of it and hope for the best! Very strange, it's been fine and growing like a weed for the last six months. This all started about a month and a half after moveing it down to south florida. The AC runs more here, maybe the lower humidity?

Thanks,
Maybe, or maybe they're just temperamental. I ran a little humidifier with vapor directed right at my F-Tea during our coldest months to offset the forced air heating. That would not be a good idea with AC, I know. My F-Tea always has new growth sprouts, and even when I trim it I leave some because when it get a bit dry those new growth tips droop a little; makes it easy to see when I've let too much time pass between waterings.

Curins

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and help guys and or gals. I've soaked the pot over the sink using bottled spring water (I worried about the nasty bleach smelling city water here), and will up the watering a bunch. It's been getting water every day, so I'm hoping its not to late. If it survives I'll be sure to post some pic's!

Top Bottom