Help! My bonsai was thriving but has declined suddenly :(

Kiran

Seed
Reaction score
Hi,
My bonsai was doing really well indoors but is meant to be an outdoor one so I put it outside for a few hours a day and in the last few days it looks like it's dying :(
Can anyone suggest anything I can do to bring it back?
I've attached before and after pics below
Many thanks for your help! Kiran

Attachments

• 2B218B78-BA1F-4272-AF5B-5BCFC58F2E7D.jpeg
    2B218B78-BA1F-4272-AF5B-5BCFC58F2E7D.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 7081DCEE-32D7-4713-A2B6-FB0154832286.jpeg
    7081DCEE-32D7-4713-A2B6-FB0154832286.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 42

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Your fukien tea is a full tropical tree that loves sun, heat and humidity. However it appears that it may be suffering from root problems - either due to bad soil or a missed watering. All it takes is for the soil to become bone dry for the roots to die - and no amount of watering after the fact will bring the tree back. The only thing to do is to protect it from direct sun, mist the foliage regularly, and keep the soil moist but not wet (and not saturated).

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Treatment depends on what has happened.
Most likely it has dried out just too much outdoors. First aid is to soak the pot to make sure the roots are properly wet right through. Then protect from excess sun and carefully mange water while (if) it recovers. It will use far less water with damaged leaves so take care to water only when soil gets slightly dry.

Over watering can also cause similar symptoms because roots are damaged and the tree can't take in water so leaves all droop. If you think too much water is the cause treatment will be to with hold water and hope the roots can recover.
I don't grow fukien tea but understand they can be temperamental and drop leaves just because of a change of conditions so there is still hope. give it a stable environment and water carefully, cross fingers and hope for the best.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sometimes the leaves can ‘sunburn’ when brought from inside to outside. This usually is not fatal. Drying out too much…might be out of luck.

Top Bottom