Help my dawn redwood!

JROD3737

Seedling
Reaction score
Anyone know why all of a sudden the leaves on my new dawn redwood have started losing their green color and going pale ? Over watering? Too much sun? It's getting about 6-8 hours of sun... Watered once in the evenings and the morning.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 80

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have one that is kind of the other way, yours have gone pale mine has gone brownish. The new growth looks fine though.
I put it down to being crammed into a tiny pot with 4 other sticks and change of environment, I think these came from under lights so had no winter.

No idea though but I am interested in finding an answer for you.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
From http://homeguides.sfgate.com/dawn-redwood-diseases-68113.html :

"Dawn redwood trees are resistant to most serious plant diseases, including Verticillium wilt and oak root fungus, but occasionally suffer from canker infections. Caused by several different fungal pathogens, this disease causes flat, sunken areas of dead tissue to form on infected wood tissue. Affected branches typically bear yellow, brown or wilted foliage and infected bark often seeps a discolored resin. Affected trees sometimes experience twig, branch or top dieback. During wet weather, the fungal fruiting bodies grow in dead wood tissue and spread through splashing water and wind.
Disease Management
Unfortunately, no chemical controls exist to treat redwood cankers, as of March 2013.
"

Look for other syptoms on the branches or the trunk, and keep your fingers crossed...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like sunburn to me. A wider shot of the tree would help.

JROD3737

Seedling
Reaction score
Extra pictures

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg